Justshy
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What should I do when my friend is depressed af to the highest level and her family is the cause of it and doesn't allow counselling?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Please be aware I am not trained in mental health, and I am simply an ordinary person who has dealt with depression myself and has supported friends with depression in the past. This is general advice. If your friend visits a GP, the doctor will treat what is discussed with strict confidence, so suggesting your friend goes to see a doctor is a good idea as GPs are professionally trained to diagnose and offer treatments for depression, and may be able to discuss counseling with your friend's family in a reassuring manner. Encouraging her to discuss her depression and family with trusted teachers at school or college could help as they will be able to offer personalised advice too.

Although medical advice is necessary, you can support her yourself by continuing to listen to her concerns (it's okay if you aren't sure what's the right thing to say, just listen and be kind to her if she decides to open up) and still include her in everyday activities that you would do with others that aren't suffering from depression (for example, if you're going to watch a film invite her). These things are very important as depression can leave people feeling isolated.

If you are worried your friend is being harmed in any way (physically or psychologically), then you should definitely speak to somebody in authority about what you know about your friend's situation, such as a teacher you trust, as they will be able to get the right safeguards in place to ensure your friend is safe. You could also direct her to relevant organisations that offer advice or emotional support to those who have mental health problems: these can include Mind, the Samaritans, Childline (anyone can use this service until they are 18 years old), and Papyrus Hopeline UK. All of the aforementioned charities have knowledge of mental health problems and are there to support people. You could also use Mind's website to find out more about depression, so you can understand what your friend is going through.

Importantly, you should look after your own mental health and talk about any worries you have with someone you trust, whether that be a close family member, counselor, teacher, or even one of the organisations I mentioned before. Supporting someone with depression can be hard sometimes, so you need to make sure you are looking after and supporting your own mental health too.

I hope your friend feels better soon and I wish you both the best. You sound like a good friend in this post.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed