Exam Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have never had any such history of anxiety however a few years ago when I was sitting my A-Level exams, in my final exam I suddenly had a panic attack which just came from nowhere. I couldn't breathe, eyes started watering and heart just beating constantly and was unable to leave the exam hall.

I had no idea why this began to happen as it was the exam that I was most competent in at that time. Since then I have been fine in all other exams that I have sat to date.

However, I have just moved onto my aat level 4 studies which I am finding to be a challenge but do not want to give up on. I feel as though I am experiencing prolonged grief (grandparent bereavement at the end of June) and as part of that I appear to be feeling a lot more anxious than usual.

As I have my first upcoming aat exam at this level I am worried that this experience of panic will occur again and uncertain of how to handle and prevent this.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
sopeadore
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I suffer with anxiety myself but I have more social anxiety so for me it was the bit before the exam and being around everyone and straight after where everyone would exchange answers etc that bothered me. So I can relate to you with the feelings the anxiety creates ...

For me being able to just take myself out of the situation for a moment really helped ... I often found a quiet corner and put in some headphones and listened to some chill music or even a podcast specifically for being in those situations. There's a lot of podcasts that you can listen to right before an exam that actually distract you from your feelings of anxiety and instead help you feel really prepared and confident about the exam coming! This might help

I'm really sorry for your loss and that it's affecting you like this I'm not sure if you're at uni or school but maybe they might have some support for you or contacts of someone you can talk to? I really hope things get easier for you, anxiety is really horrible and I really hope you can take a big deep breath soon and just let it all off your shoulders! You can always send me a message if you need <3
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by sopeadore)
I suffer with anxiety myself but I have more social anxiety so for me it was the bit before the exam and being around everyone and straight after where everyone would exchange answers etc that bothered me. So I can relate to you with the feelings the anxiety creates ...

For me being able to just take myself out of the situation for a moment really helped ... I often found a quiet corner and put in some headphones and listened to some chill music or even a podcast specifically for being in those situations. There's a lot of podcasts that you can listen to right before an exam that actually distract you from your feelings of anxiety and instead help you feel really prepared and confident about the exam coming! This might help

I'm really sorry for your loss and that it's affecting you like this I'm not sure if you're at uni or school but maybe they might have some support for you or contacts of someone you can talk to? I really hope things get easier for you, anxiety is really horrible and I really hope you can take a big deep breath soon and just let it all off your shoulders! You can always send me a message if you need <3
Thanks for this advice, I totally get the social anxiety thing, I hate being around people and much prefer to be alone and do feel for you also. The whole idea of it being an afternoon exam and having to attend class at college in the morning isn't really helping my thoughts on this as I tend to get more nervous when I hear people discussing what could potentially come up...and realise that I possibly haven't done enough work (probably have but nerves kick in)

As I get agitated very easily at the moment, I do think some motivational podcast would probably help before going into the exam provided I am allowed to do this at college. Do you have any suggestions to which ones are the best?

I am at college however I have seeked professional support from outside of college life in order to try and get back to some form of 'normal'. The trouble is the outbursts of anxiousness happen at the most unwanted times unfortunately... I think I am just perhaps still in the grieving process which is putting me on edge more than usual and just need to say to myself 'you can do this'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (19)
8.6%
Okay (65)
29.41%
A bit lacking (83)
37.56%
Not good at all (54)
24.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed