The Student Room Group

Why I don't care about migrants crossing the Channel (and neither should you)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Rakas21
There is of course a solution, increase the native birh rate via incentives.

True. But that is quite a long term game plan. Kids born in the swinging 60s still experienced the depressions of the 70s and 80s before they had an impact in the 90s.
Original post by Chadmiral Nelson
The Tories are not remotely against immigration though and never have been, it's all bluster. This is the same government who without any public consultation, are quite happy to extend settlement rights to potentially up to 3 million people from Hong Kong. The same party under which net immigration has repeatedly hit record highs. And it should be no surprise why to anybody who sits down and thinks about it for a few seconds. This is the government of big business, and big business loves nothing more than to flood the job market with cheap foreign labour to keep wages low and the cost of living high thanks to the increased demand on goods and services from an artificially inflated population.

I think this is an oversimplification.

Recent polling has shown that 7/10 Tory members are in favour of leaving the ECHR et Al in order to reduce immigration. I think a minority of conservative MPs are genuine in their commitment to reducing immigration.

The problem is the bulk of the conservative MPs stitching up the Tory grassroots. What needs to happen is what labour did with Corbyn. If a hardliner on immigration can get to the final process they will hands down win the leadership nomination.

So in short what needs to happen is to get rid of the phoney or liberal Tories and drag the party to the right.
A country - that's even an island! - that cannot secure its borders and prevent illegal immigration is basically a joke from an immigration perspective.

It's not the absolute numbers, it's the sheer principle of it. Illegal immigration is what it says on the box. But the kicker is that the UK's Home Office spends £4.7m per DAY to house these migrants in 4-star hotels. So you have people in the UK who are homeless, no money, freezing - but it's OK to house illegal migrants in hotels.

And it's only going to get worse. I don't mean any type of racism or abuse, but as a matter of fact the UK is becoming Pakistan 2.0.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Quady
Its been five hours since you posted.
Have you been arrested yet...?

I can hear the bolts being run home :rolleyes:
Reply 64
Original post by hyped22
A country - that's even an island! - that cannot secure its borders and prevent illegal immigration is basically a joke from an immigration perspective.

It's not the absolute numbers, it's the sheer principle of it. Illegal immigration is what it says on the box. But the kicker is that the UK's Home Office spends £4.7m per DAY to house these migrants in 4-star hotels. So you have people in the UK who are homeless, no money, freezing - but it's OK to house illegal migrants in hotels.

And it's only going to get worse. I don't mean any type of racism or abuse, but as a matter of fact the UK is becoming Pakistan 2.0.

ho ho ho.
In what regard is it 'Pakistan' exactly? A somewhat arbitrary choice, no?
Original post by Napp
ho ho ho.
In what regard is it 'Pakistan' exactly? A somewhat arbitrary choice, no?

Have you been to Tower Hamlets in London, for example? It's really not different from Lahore. I've been to both.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by hyped22
Have you been to Tower Hamlets in London, for example? It's really not different from Lahore. I've been to both.

Why did you go to Lahore?
Reply 67
Original post by hyped22

Point of information. The UK spends nothing on migrants. I am sure however your figure of £4.7m is true, but this will be on asylum seekers. That is people fleeing war or persecution, a bit like we may well be doing if Putin completely loses the plot. A number of hotels are housing asylum seekers where I live. None of them are 4*. They are all total dumps and the asylum seeker money is the only thing keeping them afloat right now. So on the plus side, that is jobs and employment for local people who otherwise would not have those jobs because you or I wouldn't choose to stay in these hotels even if we were paid!
Original post by hotpud
Point of information. The UK spends nothing on migrants. I am sure however your figure of £4.7m is true, but this will be on asylum seekers. That is people fleeing war or persecution, a bit like we may well be doing if Putin completely loses the plot. A number of hotels are housing asylum seekers where I live. None of them are 4*. They are all total dumps and the asylum seeker money is the only thing keeping them afloat right now. So on the plus side, that is jobs and employment for local people who otherwise would not have those jobs because you or I wouldn't choose to stay in these hotels even if we were paid!

The Home Office themselves have said that many/most of the Calais migrants are economic migrants, not refugees. If you see the demographics, they are mainly men in their 20s and 30s, very different from Ukrainian refugees The £4.7m a day is appaling, considering that taxpayers are footing the bill while British citizens don’t have money to warm their houses, many have lost their jobs due to Covid, rampant inflation, tax hikes, etc. That £4.7m per day is just the hotel cost (including 4-star hotels - not all are in 4-star hotels but many are), it doesn’t include their weekly lump sum and it doesn’t include non hotel housing costs for other migrants. And it will get worse, with double the amount of migrants expected to make the Calais crossing this year vs. 2021. This is all irrespective of Ukrainian refugees, not considering that.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60249130
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10244513/Migrants-expect-40-week-free-mobiles-four-star-hotels-lawyers-writes-DAVID-BARRETT.html
Plus - the migrants are fleeing FRANCE, which is far from a country at war. Many of them got their refugee visas rejected in France.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by hyped22

Yes, i lived there for half a decade.. Simply having more brown faces does not make it 'like Lahore' though.
I have a “brown face” myself, that’s not the issue (that can actually be perceived as a bit of a racist statement)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Why did you go to Lahore?

Family
Original post by 1trubrit
non-White immigration = White genocide

White children now only make 3% of world population.. think about that for a second.

If we were White tigers, we'd be talked about.

White European people are not allowed any identity politics without it being crushed.

Crushed by woke, political correctness and cancel culture
Original post by 1trubrit
non-White immigration = White genocide

White children now only make 3% of world population.. think about that for a second.

If we were White tigers, we'd be talked about.

White European people are not allowed any identity politics without it being crushed.

Fairly sure that figure is excluding what are effectively tanned whites like Hispanics and some in and around the Middle East. Indeed historically the US census did include Hispanics as white. Plenty of Orientals are also white, just not Caucasian.

But your right, we do need a higher birth rate.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by hyped22
The Home Office themselves have said that many/most of the Calais migrants are economic migrants, not refugees. If you see the demographics, they are mainly men in their 20s and 30s, very different from Ukrainian refugees The £4.7m a day is appaling, considering that taxpayers are footing the bill while British citizens don’t have money to warm their houses, many have lost their jobs due to Covid, rampant inflation, tax hikes, etc. That £4.7m per day is just the hotel cost (including 4-star hotels - not all are in 4-star hotels but many are), it doesn’t include their weekly lump sum and it doesn’t include non hotel housing costs for other migrants. And it will get worse, with double the amount of migrants expected to make the Calais crossing this year vs. 2021. This is all irrespective of Ukrainian refugees, not considering that.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60249130
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10244513/Migrants-expect-40-week-free-mobiles-four-star-hotels-lawyers-writes-DAVID-BARRETT.html
Plus - the migrants are fleeing FRANCE, which is far from a country at war. Many of them got their refugee visas rejected in France.

So what is your solution to a problem for which the whole world has shrugged its shoulders?

a) Send them back to a country you can't identify because they won't tell you?
b) Send them back to a country of origin that won't accept them back?
c) Send them back to France on a point of principal knowing full well France will also shrug its shoulders and they will be back before you can say "Where did I put my inflatable dinghy?"
d) An other?

I get that we spend some money on this problem, but with all due respect - it is a problem that doing nothing about will not cause it to go away. Even Australia with its brutal immigration system still sees thousands of illegal immigrants trying to get in. Acknowledging that this is a complex and difficult problem that is going to cost resources and money is the first step to finding a meaningful solution to all involved.

Either way - the chances of you or I becoming economic / war refugees has gone up massively in these last few weeks so perhaps we need to soften our tone a bit?
Original post by hotpud
So what is your solution to a problem for which the whole world has shrugged its shoulders?

a) Send them back to a country you can't identify because they won't tell you?
b) Send them back to a country of origin that won't accept them back?
c) Send them back to France on a point of principal knowing full well France will also shrug its shoulders and they will be back before you can say "Where did I put my inflatable dinghy?"
d) An other?

I get that we spend some money on this problem, but with all due respect - it is a problem that doing nothing about will not cause it to go away. Even Australia with its brutal immigration system still sees thousands of illegal immigrants trying to get in. Acknowledging that this is a complex and difficult problem that is going to cost resources and money is the first step to finding a meaningful solution to all involved.

Either way - the chances of you or I becoming economic / war refugees has gone up massively in these last few weeks so perhaps we need to soften our tone a bit?

I’d accept those who won’t go back but ship them to South Georgia (territory). It’s cold, damp and the migrants won’t enjoy it. You’ll soon find them not bothering,
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Rakas21
I’d accept those who won’t go back but ship them to South Georgia (territory). It’s cold, damp and the migrants won’t enjoy it. You’ll soon find them not bothering,

Like Australia do? Doesn't seem to work there. Why would it work for us? And anyway. I think we need to remember how thin peace is. Putin only needs to slip and your house gets nuked. Then you become an asylum seeker presumably expecting people to be nice to you?
Original post by hotpud
Like Australia do? Doesn't seem to work there. Why would it work for us? And anyway. I think we need to remember how thin peace is. Putin only needs to slip and your house gets nuked. Then you become an asylum seeker presumably expecting people to be nice to you?

Illegal boat crossings collapsed after Australia started shipping them off. Australia still takes a lot of refugees from official schemes. I'd still support Afghan translators, ghurkas, Hong Kong and Ukranians.
Reply 78
Original post by Rakas21
Illegal boat crossings collapsed after Australia started shipping them off. Australia still takes a lot of refugees from official schemes. I'd still support Afghan translators, ghurkas, Hong Kong and Ukranians.

Fair enough. I didn't know that. Interestingly I do know that for most refugees there are no mechanisms for claiming asylum in the UK other than illegal entry. It's farsical.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
Fair enough. I didn't know that. Interestingly I do know that for most refugees there are no mechanisms for claiming asylum in the UK other than illegal entry. It's farsical.

Refugees are typically of little value and most states have immigration systems for a reason. Most of those I'd allow are people who have performed a duty. I would also allow a foreign legion to reward 10 years military service.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending