The Student Room Group

No Motivation to work - A Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hey! I am LITERALLY in the same boat as you are. I did okay-ish last year but now I'm struggling more than I would like to admit
I applied to medicine and ik i have to work very hard but I have lost motivation. I really want to study medicine and I am fully dedicated.
It's kinda sad that I am embarrassed to tell my friends, family and even my teachers.
I have lost momentum and I wish that I was more productive but it is so, so hard.
My (asian) parents are always on me for studying which is scaring me cos they have never had to do that in the past.
I feel so defeated and would love some advice as well L

we're all in the same boat, I also have Asian parents so i do understand what it's like, and I'm not a very social person so I'm terrible at communicating especially with friends, family, and teachers, I feel you 😭. Most of us in this post have agreed to join a discord in order to study together and i hope to post the link by tomorrow or Monday, and if you want to you can join, and you don't have to necessarily join a vc you can just chat too :smile:
well if you haven't spent that long with your friends in a while, it will be good for you to get a breather and relax and then you can slowly start catching up like all of us are going to. ngl i have soo much work to do like coursework and revising for tests and the biggest thing being that I got an interview for uni on Monday :frown:, and I'm not fully prepared even though I've heard it's not too difficult but I'm really stressed out and yet I'm here procrastinating 😭.

Thank you for making me feel better about going (:
The interview is definitely the most important thing at the moment., so do prioritise that. You've got all of tomorrow!
after monday, you can do the other things. If you don't do as well on the tests at the moment, then I would tell my teachers that I was focusing on interview prep- they would understand :smile:I
Hey! I am LITERALLY in the same boat as you are. I did okay-ish last year but now I'm struggling more than I would like to admit
I applied to medicine and ik i have to work very hard but I have lost motivation. I really want to study medicine and I am fully dedicated.
It's kinda sad that I am embarrassed to tell my friends, family and even my teachers.
I have lost momentum and I wish that I was more productive but it is so, so hard.
My (asian) parents are always on me for studying which is scaring me cos they have never had to do that in the past.

Heyyýyy its ok. I get u. That is what exactly happened to me. I wanted to do medicine (not sure if I want to atm now anymore😢 because of my grades) but i just want to say.... dont lose hope. Applying for medicine is not an easy journey, but dont be too hard on yourself. U r nearly there and yes its getting harder, but no matter what happens, dont lose ur motivation. U did well at this point, and maybe u just need to take a small break to reflect on what is happening now and formulate a plan. It may take time but wiyld be worth it😊😊😊
Thank you for making me feel better about going (:
The interview is definitely the most important thing at the moment., so do prioritise that. You've got all of tomorrow!
after monday, you can do the other things. If you don't do as well on the tests at the moment, then I would tell my teachers that I was focusing on interview prep- they would understand :smile:I

Yess I hope to prioritize my interview first and try to get a few hours in today and tomorrow and actually start to get my life together all because of this random post I created and it makes me really happy I'm not only helping myself but other too :smile:

Omg the embarrassment yes, I get that too
I think I slightly started to lose motivation in August, it made my ucat go really bad :frown: I could no longer apply to the med schools I wanted to, so I had to choose ones which don't use ucat a lot- places I don't particularly want to go to
But we're here now! And soon we'll be on discord together (if you're happy to join) :smile:
What times would you prefer we don't need to do it every day and you don't have to necessarily join every time but it would be good to know what sort of times you're looking at :smile:

I always have a big gap from getting home from school (4pm ish) to dinner(~6pm), and I never use that time for anything. Saying that, I study so much better in the evening from about 7pm onwards.
What about you?
Yess I hope to prioritize my interview first and try to get a few hours in today and tomorrow and actually start to get my life together all because of this random post I created and it makes me really happy I'm not only helping myself but other too :smile:

Thank you so so much for posting. You've given me hope.
I came to the mental health section of tsr because I was feeling so overwhelmed this evening, and I'm very glad I did :biggrin:
I always have a big gap from getting home from school (4pm ish) to dinner(~6pm), and I never use that time for anything. Saying that, I study so much better in the evening from about 7pm onwards.
What about you?

yess i study in the evening better too, after 7 pm is fine and if anyone has other suitable times it would be great to just tell me, but its fine if you dont' want to and willing to join any time you guys want :smile:
Heyyýyy its ok. I get u. That is what exactly happened to me. I wanted to do medicine (not sure if I want to atm now anymore😢 because of my grades) but i just want to say.... dont lose hope. Applying for medicine is not an easy journey, but dont be too hard on yourself. U r nearly there and yes its getting harder, but no matter what happens, dont lose ur motivation. U did well at this point, and maybe u just need to take a small break to reflect on what is happening now and formulate a plan. It may take time but wiyld be worth it😊😊😊

Aww thank you for your reassuring words
we're all in the same boat, I also have Asian parents so i do understand what it's like, and I'm not a very social person so I'm terrible at communicating especially with friends, family, and teachers, I feel you 😭. Most of us in this post have agreed to join a discord in order to study together and i hope to post the link by tomorrow or Monday, and if you want to you can join, and you don't have to necessarily join a vc you can just chat too :smile:

thanks for replying - it means a lot! yeah i would love to join as well
Thank you so so much for posting. You've given me hope.
I came to the mental health section of tsr because I was feeling so overwhelmed this evening, and I'm very glad I did :biggrin:

NOO THANK YOU!! i never expected this many people to respond and feel the same way i did and I'm so happy we got to a conclusion in making a study group :smile:
IM SO HAPPY AHH !! :smile:
thanks for replying - it means a lot! yeah i would love to join as well

YAYY YOU'RE REALLY WELCOME TO JOIN!!
I'll hopefully be posting a link for discord by tomorrow or Monday because i also have a uni interview to prepare soo i hope you understand :smile:
I'll hopefully be posting a link for discord by tomorrow or Monday because i also have a uni interview to prepare soo i hope you understand :smile:

yeah no problem! good luck on the interview!!

Focus on interview - we can wait :smile:
(It seems we are very similar, and if I were you, i'd definitely spend more time on discord than prepping:cool:)
yeah no problem! good luck on the interview!!

Thank you soo much!!
Omg the embarrassment yes, I get that too
I think I slightly started to lose motivation in August, it made my ucat go really bad :frown: I could no longer apply to the med schools I wanted to, so I had to choose ones which don't use ucat a lot- places I don't particularly want to go to
But we're here now! And soon we'll be on discord together (if you're happy to join) :smile:

my ucat score wasn't so great either and i really needed to reevaluate where i could i apply. - i got 2430 b2 if your curious
so you're not alone!
(It seems we are very similar, and if I were you, i'd definitely spend more time on discord than prepping:cool:)

OMG thats soo true. Thank you for waiting, i'll try to create it ASAP :smile:
Aww thank you for your reassuring words

No worries😊😊😊 U r making the right step for asking help here, same with everyone here and hopefully we can be able to help each other. Cant wait to join the discord tomorrow😊😊😊 I actually feel motivated from this thread rn😁😁😁
my ucat score wasn't so great either and i really needed to reevaluate where i could i apply. - i got 2430 b2 if your curious
so you're not alone!

holy moly, we seem to be the same person ahah
I got 2440 b2. Goodbye bristol, southampton and st georges woooop
luckily i actually liked cardiff though pheww

Um no, prep is important

Quick Reply

Latest