The Student Room Group

Single parent in London - Final Year

Hi everyone, I am in a very stressful situation and hoping for some advice. Long story short, I am in a relationship that seems to be coming to an end with a child who is now 7, my current partner is not her father.

I live in London in my partner's house with no other family in the UK. My daughter has no contact with her father, so I am completely on my own. My mother was my only one family and I lost her 5 months ago. I am in my final year doing a very hard course, but I had to interrupt as a result of the ongoing stress in my current relationship and losing mom.

I have number of problems I am facing, and the one that worries me the most is housing arrangements for me and my daughter. I know London is having a huge crisis for housing at the moment with thousands of people waiting for housing, so that does not fill me up with confidence.
I will not be able to work full time because I am also full time in uni and have to care for my daughter, so I don't think a private landlord will let me rent a house. Next thing is money and financial worries whether I will be able to manage.
My head is a mess and I feel completely alone and not seeing a way out of this. I will appreciate any advice from people who know or are in a similar situation to mine.
Original post by Bluebell90
Hi everyone, I am in a very stressful situation and hoping for some advice. Long story short, I am in a relationship that seems to be coming to an end with a child who is now 7, my current partner is not her father.

I live in London in my partner's house with no other family in the UK. My daughter has no contact with her father, so I am completely on my own. My mother was my only one family and I lost her 5 months ago. I am in my final year doing a very hard course, but I had to interrupt as a result of the ongoing stress in my current relationship and losing mom.

I have number of problems I am facing, and the one that worries me the most is housing arrangements for me and my daughter. I know London is having a huge crisis for housing at the moment with thousands of people waiting for housing, so that does not fill me up with confidence.
I will not be able to work full time because I am also full time in uni and have to care for my daughter, so I don't think a private landlord will let me rent a house. Next thing is money and financial worries whether I will be able to manage.
My head is a mess and I feel completely alone and not seeing a way out of this. I will appreciate any advice from people who know or are in a similar situation to mine.

Hello, have you gone to the council??
Reply 2
I would contact Shelter and Citizens Advice
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by dontworryboo
Hello, have you gone to the council??

I have, they basically told me that I need to become homeless and contact them when that happens. The thought of that terrifies me I won't deny
Reply 4
Original post by Bluebell90
I have, they basically told me that I need to become homeless and contact them when that happens. The thought of that terrifies me I won't deny

Get advice from Shelter Housing Advice
Reply 6
https://advicefinder.turn2us.org.uk/

This is good for finding advice too.
Reply 7
Get advice and support and be persistent. There are some excellent advice agencies out there. Hopefully they will help you. If they can't help you ask them to direct you to someone who can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending