Lack of motivation

Watch
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Idk why but since I’ve started year 12 I’ve hit a slump. I can’t seem to have enough time to do work and organise my time to revise and do the work I need. It’s not that I can’t to do the work, because I know I can but I can’t find the motivation to follow the study timetable (I suck at timetables btw) and sometimes I really wonder if I’m going to get the grades I need to do medicine. I also know that if I continue like this I definitely won’t do well. I need to act now or it might be too late to get into the correct studying and life balance. I definitely need to revise since I have mocks coming up and they are important, but I feel lost and don’t know what to do. Am I just being stupid and if you have been in the same situation what have you done? I honestly feel like I’m sabotaging myself and I just want to change my outlook on studying, and it’s not like I don’t want to but I don’t know what to do.

franklyfruity
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I've been in the exact same situation as this, and to be honest I'm kinda feeling myself in the same mood now. please don't worry, you're not being stupid at all, life has been hard for everyone in the past year or so and everyone loses motivation at some point. it sounds like you're really hardworking and a good student, which is a fantastic start! it's important to remind yourself of why you want/need to study, even if it's a super long-term goal that you're aiming for.

the main thing for me is to just start small. revising for a whole exam can seem super daunting and overwhelming, so definitely try to break things down. pick one subject, one chapter, one assignment, one question, whatever it might be. set some time aside to get stuck in and give it your best shot. completing something (particularly something easy) will boost your confidence and allow you to continue moving forward with some more complicated material. just tackle things one at a time, and remove all other distractions. not just physically switching off your phone for example, but also shutting off the other areas of your brain that are stressing about the hundreds of other things you have to do. constantly thinking about your other responsibilities and deadlines will probably only keep you from doing what you need to get done.

remember to take breaks, and get plenty of sleep! it's tempting to wreck your sleep schedule in order to revise but it's so so ineffective (I speak from personal experience) and really damaging in the long run. I wish the best of luck to you, please let me know how it goes!! as I say, I'm in a similar situation lol so I need to find some motivation to get work done too... school is so draining sometimes.
ah6100tsr
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
You won't get far without any work outside classes. Your grades will evidently drop. Talk to your form tutor (be honest and genuine) for advice. The year will be more of a hassle if you don't start now, trust me, and that means more studying. Start with 30 minutes revision at a certain time, everyday, and then gradually increase it.

Year 12 was a bad year for me in all aspects to be completely honest, so I know a thing or two about where you can make changes.
Last edited by ah6100tsr; 1 week ago
rzi999
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Maybe it’s because you are putting too much pressure on yourself or because you are feeling overwhelmed with the work. Take it slow, and be consistent. 20 minutes of solid active learning is more effective than 60 minutes of passive reading / writing out of textbooks. Try to switch up your study habits. Also don’t forget self care. Listen to your body. Make sure you are having breakfast, taking daily walks, spending time doing things you enjoy, getting good sleep. These things combined will increase your productivity and overall satisfaction. You can do this! Baby steps. Remember why you started. One day you’ll be a doctor who will be improving people’s lives. Best of luck to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.56%
Okay (86)
29.35%
A bit lacking (107)
36.52%
Not good at all (72)
24.57%

Watched Threads