Allthequestions
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
My questions areI’ve not been working for the CS for very long (i have passed probation) and have seen another role, in another department that i like the sound of1) Is there an unwritten CS rule about how long you should stay in 1 role/department?2) Do I need to tell my line manager if I apply?
Reddy5001
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Allthequestions)
My questions areI’ve not been working for the CS for very long (i have passed probation) and have seen another role, in another department that i like the sound of1) Is there an unwritten CS rule about how long you should stay in 1 role/department?2) Do I need to tell my line manager if I apply?
I'm not in the civil service at the moment but from what I've seen there are no unwritten rules if you're looking for promotion especially if you've passed your probation. I would advise speaking to your manager if the job is the same grade as you are now. This is because I get the impression from my offer letter that level transfers (say EO to EO for example) require manager approval and that they aren't a fan of approving level transfers less than 2 years after a person starts. If the job is in another department then your status for application would be OGD rather than external or internal.
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Your current government department cannot prevent you from permanently moving to another government department, whether promotion, level transfer, or even go down in grades.

They don't have to to agree to any secondment, not sure but probably the same for loans.

They shouldn't/couldn't prevent you from internal (same government department) promotion. They probably can prevent you from level transfer within the same government department if you haven't been in post the minimum time as specified when you were recruited.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (2)
10%
Okay (5)
25%
A bit lacking (6)
30%
Not good at all (7)
35%

Watched Threads