srich990
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I’m asking this in relation to Brighton and Sussex Medical School specifically because I’ve heard they’re very strict with the BMAT. Obviously I’ve yet to have my BMAT results but I have a feeling I’ve passed the minimum grade threshold for section 1 and section 3 but may have fallen short for section 2…I’m applying with contextual data and got approved for special consideration for the BMAT. My predicted grades are A*A*AA and my GCSEs are 8, 8 in English lit & lang and a 9 in maths (BSMS only look at your English and maths). Does anyone think I might still have a shot at an interview if I have fallen short with just section 2..?
ClarissaBella
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by srich990)
Hi,
I’m asking this in relation to Brighton and Sussex Medical School specifically because I’ve heard they’re very strict with the BMAT. Obviously I’ve yet to have my BMAT results but I have a feeling I’ve passed the minimum grade threshold for section 1 and section 3 but may have fallen short for section 2…I’m applying with contextual data and got approved for special consideration for the BMAT. My predicted grades are A*A*AA and my GCSEs are 8, 8 in English lit & lang and a 9 in maths (BSMS only look at your English and maths). Does anyone think I might still have a shot at an interview if I have fallen short with just section 2..?
They consider contextual applicants separately, and the threshold will be lower than for non-contextual applicants. However, whatever that threshold for contextual applicants ends up being, you will need to meet it; my understanding is that even a fraction below will not result in an interview.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
I would suggest posting in the BSMS A100 2022 thread so other BSMS applicants and experts can help you there.
will queens
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
They're not actually massively strict. They score section 1 out of 9, section 2 out of 9, then each component of section 3 out of 5 (so A = 5, B=4, C=3 etc).

Most years, except last year the cutoff hovers a little above 16, so for example 4.5, 4.5, 3A would've guaranteed you an interview most years. Last year it jumped quite a bit to almost 18 I think. Which isn't ideal, but you could still get with say 5, 5, 3A, so it isn't insane. I'm hoping it drops at bit closer to normal this year though as I really struggled with the exam.

best of luck for tomorrow.

edit: completely forgot to respond to the rest of your question lol. For BSMS your GCSEs and a-levels do not matter, as long as you meet minimum academic requirements (which you do), then it is no longer considered in the process. The only thing considered when deciding who to invite for interview is BMAT. They rank everybody's scores and the top x amount (I believe its about 500?) get an interview. Then bmat is forgotten and the same process applies to offers. They rank everybody interview score and the top x amount (I believe roughly above 300) get an offer.
Last edited by will queens; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
10.42%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.04%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.29%
Finding the motivation (24)
25%
Getting distracted (14)
14.58%
Procrastination (39)
40.63%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.04%

Watched Threads