What’s the point of going to uni

Watch
MikelArteta812
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Just to do a B.S job.

80% of people hate their jobs and the fact they’re stuck with it.

Be your own boss.

Invest in stocks 🤑
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by MikelArteta812)
Just to do a B.S job.

Be your own boss.

Invest in stocks 🤑Ok
Well - yeah.... but if you read the literature.. one 'stock picker' journal lauds a bloke as "top stock picker of the quarter"!!! Ok, so you watch the stock picker press, and you never hear anythi9ng more about this guy. A year later (i did this), you do some research on the 'wonder child', and find that he was in the bottom third of stock pickers last quarter. What happened????

You do a bit more research on the guy, and you find that over 5 or 6 years, he floated about in the middle of stock pickers, with an occasional foray up near the top, and then, down near the bottom. On ONE occasion, he happened to pick 3 or 4 issues well - when nearly everyone else was picking bad ones. The rest of the time - he's barely average.

To an outsider - like us - it appears that everyone is making tons of dosh, but when you check into it, the 'promise' doesn't pay off. He ended up at the top - because SOMEONE has to be at the top - and his number just came up that time. I have a couple of brokers working for me - and they do "ok", but not "OK"!! They haven't lost a bundle for me, but neither have they made me super rich either. I am willing to be converted, if you have evidence that i am wrong. I "did" a bachelor's in electrical engineering, and ended up living in 14 countries on projects. I enjoyed myself + later went back and 'did' a masters in EE, because i got tired of 'lesser lights' screwing up projects i was working on, and then sticking me with the blame - when their decisions on the project turned out to be wrong. With a masters, i found that I was running the project. If things went off the rails, at least i was 'steering the ship' when they did. That never happened though. Cheers.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
..Invest what? Your pocket money? Welfare benefits? Wait awkwardly for someone to die?
Last edited by StriderHort; 4 days ago
username5868825
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Just to do a B.S job.

Be your own boss.

Invest in stocks 🤑
Because it gives you academic knowledge, not getting a job in the field is not the end of the world
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Just to do a B.S job.

Be your own boss.

Invest in stocks 🤑
Hate to break it you Mike but it simply doesn't work that way.
skylark2
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
I really enjoy my job. It's a graduate profession.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Invest in a defence coach la, we walked through yous the other night
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (99)
35.23%
Yes - a trusted person (78)
27.76%
No (73)
25.98%
I'm not sure (31)
11.03%

Watched Threads