Kelm321
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm hoping that somebody has been through the same thing and can help me feel less depressed about this!

I've spent three years doing an MSc and have hated every second of it. I've had issues all the way along with staff members, from some being rude and just downright horrible, to others who just gave us zero support or help on anything. My final year was doing a dissertation, we were told we could have a maximum of 5 hours time with our supervisor over the year and emails would count for this. My supervisor in particular took months to reply to emails and wouldn't answer calls so I ended up feeling so alone and panicked as I had no idea what I needed to do. I raised a complaint with the uni and nothing was done. I ended up on antidepressants because of the stress of it. I got my marks back for the full course and overall I got 69.5 giving me a merit.

Now don't get me wrong, I KNOW a merit and this score is good. I'm not in denial about that. However, to be 0.5 away from a distinction has really really upset me. My family keep telling me to be proud and I am proud of what I've done but I feel cheated and hurt at the same time. I've asked for an appeal and been told no. They also won't round up half a mark. I just feel completely let down and feel like I can't go to graduation and watch my peers graduating with distinction because it's painful. I'm aware I sound dramatic but I just wanted to know if anyone else can understand this?? I think just to know someone else has felt the same might help?
Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
Of course everyone can understand your frustration. Half a point is nothing in absolute terms but in this case it's everything, or at least to you. Watching others who got the distinction when you didn't is painful and that's human, BUT grade boundaries are there for a reason and by constantly rounding up degrees hold less and less value. Rather than asking yourself why they didn't give you that extra half point, ask yourself what paragraph or chapter could have been better written. When you're 100% honest with yourself you'll find the reality of your grade easier to accept and you'll be better equipped to face the real world without the need for anti depressants when things start getting complicated.
Well done all the same.
Kelm321
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nobody2u)
Of course everyone can understand your frustration. Half a point is nothing in absolute terms but in this case it's everything, or at least to you. Watching others who got the distinction when you didn't is painful and that's human, BUT grade boundaries are there for a reason and by constantly rounding up degrees hold less and less value. Rather than asking yourself why they didn't give you that extra half point, ask yourself what paragraph or chapter could have been better written. When you're 100% honest with yourself you'll find the reality of your grade easier to accept and you'll be better equipped to face the real world without the need for anti depressants when things start getting complicated.
Well done all the same.
Thanks for the reply, just to clarify the antidepressants are not just because it's complicated, the uni experience was just the tip of the ice berg. Also it was one assignment that brought the average down as all of my others were distinction, this one was marked by the aforementioned tutor who made my life hell. I'm not saying it's their fault but I've had it looked at by another tutor who has said this was very harshly marked hence the appeal request. I don't think it's a case of seeing what I can do better but I appreciate your point.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
%his is not specifically for you but for all of your generation. When I went to uni ( a long time ago) we went to good ones with 2B's and a C. The average degree was a 2:2, an excellent student got a 2:1 and maybe, and only maybe, one person in a year group got a 1st. Remarking and appealing were unheard of. And the system worked for everyone, because from the day that a student started taking official exams they learnt to deal with deception and not quite getting the top grade, whether it be at what is now GCSE's , "A"levels or degrees.
By letting just about everybody believe that the excel we have let a generation down. Not getting straight A*'s is looked down upon and leads some students to suffer anxiety, and those that really should stand out for their capabilities are given equivalent grades to students that have significantly underperformed them.
If your appeal was not maintained there is a reason for it. And even if you'd got 80% then there is still room for improvement so that the paragraph stating that rather than focusing on where the tutor was harsh,but rather where you could improve remains valid.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Ask for a copy of the uni policy on individuals who have marks on the boundary. For instance, for a 69.5 if the student has more than 70% on xxx number of modules the mark gets bumped up to a 70% or the uni may 'round up' to 70%. Ask the uni but if relations are poor don't expect much support.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (24)
10.13%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (7)
2.95%
Finding the time to revise (15)
6.33%
Finding the motivation (65)
27.43%
Getting distracted (44)
18.57%
Procrastination (79)
33.33%
Having the tools you need (1)
0.42%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
0.84%

Watched Threads