Ibs223
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, physician associate, nurse, physiotherapist or optometrist? Which is best in order when u take salary, respect and job opportunities into account
ashvinsingh
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ibs223)
medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, physician associate, nurse, physiotherapist or optometrist? Which is best in order when u take salary, respect and job opportunities into account
Dont go into healthcare for money, if you want a High salary go into something like economics. All of these roles are highly competitive but if you have a genuine passion then you’ll enjoy it, and in the nhs there is structured career progression pathways!
chris01928
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Agree with the above point
Also, don't go into it for respect, everyone should be considered equal, thats how an MDT should function
Finally, not sure about job prospects, that would be something to look into, but if the above two points are your priority, maybe you should rethink career paths?
Ibs223
Rep:
(Original post by chris01928)
Agree with the above point
Also, don't go into it for respect, everyone should be considered equal, thats how an MDT should function
Finally, not sure about job prospects, that would be something to look into, but if the above two points are your priority, maybe you should rethink career paths?
I already have a degree in biomedical science, but ive discovered i do not enjoy working in a lab and want a more patient focused career. Many many people tell me not to enter healthcare for the money... but why? Can someone not enjoy practicing in healthcare as well as gain a good income. At the end of the day i do want my job to allow me to afford the things i want
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Why does TSR always think that everything can be ordered into neat little lists, regardless of personal preferences, nuance, circumstances and the ten-million other shades of grey which life actually consists of?

It's the same with everything: cars, universities, A levels - everything must have its list of 'priority and prestige'.
chris01928
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I already have a degree in biomedical science, but ive discovered i do not enjoy working in a lab and want a more patient focused career. Many many people tell me not to enter healthcare for the money... but why? Can someone not enjoy practicing in healthcare as well as gain a good income. At the end of the day i do want my job to allow me to afford the things i want
Yeah I understand that - look at Banding if you want to get an idea or, even better sign up to NHS jobs. You can see that salaries are half-decent all the way up to decent but I think it is more the effort put in every day vs payment which can be much more easily got through other avenues
수박수지_Emma
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Tbh more than that they all have slightly different roles so it more depends on what you enjoy but yeah have a look at salaries for money stuff
Ibs223
Rep:
(Original post by chris01928)
Yeah I understand that - look at Banding if you want to get an idea or, even better sign up to NHS jobs. You can see that salaries are half-decent all the way up to decent but I think it is more the effort put in every day vs payment which can be much more easily got through other avenues
so for someone who already has a healthcare related degree that prioritises money, what alternative path would you recommend, Going back to university to study economics would not be realistic for me as i will not receive any tuition fee loans
chris01928
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
so for someone who already has a healthcare related degree that prioritises money, what alternative path would you recommend, Going back to university to study economics would not be realistic for me as i will not receive any tuition fee loans
No idea, never thought of anything else apart from healthcare. Either someone else will know more or better yet, look it up, what you view as 'good' money may not be the same as the person giving advice
asclepeion
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
You do not need another degree to go into a field with high income, I have two friends with biochemistry degrees, one is in private equity and the other is in consulting
CoochieMan
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Lmao don't get into a healthcare job for money. Plenty of other easier jobs which are also respectable and have many opportunities can get you so much more money
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Being attracted to the salary a healthcare profession provides is not in and of itself wrong, but to have it as your major or sole reason for entering the profession is wrong because:
1) You will be sorely disappointed in the amount of work, effort and time you have to put in to gain said salary (compared to other professions)
2) Probably most importantly, money will be your main focus when it absolutely should not be: patient care and a desire to improve quality of life should be. You’ll be a worse HCP for it and it’ll show in your work. You can bet patients will definitely pick up on it.
Ibs223
Rep:
(Original post by asclepeion)
You do not need another degree to go into a field with high income, I have two friends with biochemistry degrees, one is in private equity and the other is in consulting
but im assuming they gained relevant experiences and internships during there undergrad degree, which i have not as i did not think i would be considering anything other than a healthcare related job like i am right now
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Error: cannot be ranked all of them play an important role and the healthcare system cannot function without doctors, dentists, pharmacists, physician associates, nurses, physiotherapists or optometrists
chris01928
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
but im assuming they gained relevant experiences and internships during there undergrad degree, which i have not as i did not think i would be considering anything other than a healthcare related job like i am right now
So why are you considering a healthcare job? If you can write it in the order of importance for you
Ibs223
Rep:
(Original post by CoochieMan)
Lmao don't get into a healthcare job for money. Plenty of other easier jobs which are also respectable and have many opportunities can get you so much more money
could you give examples
chris01928
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
could you give examples
Use Google...
CoochieMan
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
could you give examples
Economics or computer science related jobs
asclepeion
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
No, neither of them did. By the time they realised all the internships had closed because they’re mostly aimed at penultimate year students, they didn’t get onto grad schemes. So a few online courses like EdX, hunting around for postgrad internships before landing a job with where they interned. Reached out to people in the field for advice etc.
Ibs223
Rep:
(Original post by asclepeion)
No, neither of them did. By the time they realised all the internships had closed because they’re mostly aimed at penultimate year students, they didn’t get onto grad schemes. So a few online courses like EdX, hunting around for postgrad internships before landing a job with where they interned. Reached out to people in the field for advice etc.
Thats interesting to hear. May i ask what type of university they studies at, and if top (russle group) did that play a part on why they may have been successful in obtaining a job in there fields
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.79%
Okay (99)
29.38%
A bit lacking (122)
36.2%
Not good at all (83)
24.63%

Watched Threads