Ten-Ten
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So recently I was told to submit evidence that I moved out in term one. I wasn’t able to move out in December as my school rejected my accommodation application and I couldn’t afford private student accommodation due to the amount I was given. I was on the waiting list at my school and I was constantly looking for a spare room but was unsuccessful. Then my school got back to me after a couple of months saying that there’s accommodation available so I’m moving in next week. I sent evidence to student finance of that and they told me the amount I will receive for term 2 and 3 will reduce since I didn’t move out in term 1. However when I called student finance the person said that my amount will be increased and not reduced due to elsewhere rate which sounds completely wrong. Now I don’t know what to do as I feel like I won’t be able to afford my accommodation and I’ve already paid the deposit
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
The amount you were paid in term 1 was too high. SFE are taking that money back from your term 2 and 3 instalments instead of asking for you to repay it immediately.

Your entitlement is higher for term 2 and 3 when you’re living away from home - but that is before the overpayment for term 1 has been deducted.
Ten-Ten
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
The amount you were paid in term 1 was too high. SFE are taking that money back from your term 2 and 3 instalments instead of asking for you to repay it immediately.

Your entitlement is higher for term 2 and 3 when you’re living away from home - but that is before the overpayment for term 1 has been deducted.
My money is already low enough as it is since my parents earn a lot. I can’t afford to have less than what I was originally going to get
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Then you'll need to find another source of income (like asking your parents for more help) or reduce your living costs to within your budget
Ten-Ten
Rep:
That’s just evil. There is no reason why my money should be reduced
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
You lived at home for a term. You aren’t entitled to the living elsewhere loan amount if you live at home.
Ten-Ten
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
You lived at home for a term. You aren’t entitled to the living elsewhere loan amount if you live at home.
That wasn’t my fault tho. I shouldn’t be punished for an inconvenience that happened to me. And instead of helping me they’re making my situation even more difficult. What kind of system is that
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
A room in a shared house or flat will usually be lower rent than private or university halls. You chose to stay at home instead of moving out so you weren’t eligible for the loan amount that was paid to you.

SFE isn’t there to sort your life out. If you can’t afford to attend university then you’re an adult and are expected to make a sensible decision to defer your place and save for a year.

If your parents earn a lot then ask them for more help. That’s what the system expects you to do.
Ten-Ten
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
A room in a shared house or flat will usually be lower rent than private or university halls. You chose to stay at home instead of moving out so you weren’t eligible for the loan amount that was paid to you.

SFE isn’t there to sort your life out. If you can’t afford to attend university then you’re an adult and are expected to make a sensible decision to defer your place and save for a year.

If your parents earn a lot then ask them for more help. That’s what the system expects you to do.
The system is stupid, just because my parents earn a lot doesn’t mean they can support me. That’s just an assumption that everyone makes because they already have a lot on their plate. And I didn’t chose to stay home if you chose to read correctly you would have seen that I said I couldn’t afford private accommodation and couldn’t find a suitable flat for me to move out into. Accomodation on campus was supposed to be available in October but due to renovations constantly being delayed the ready date was pushed back. So do not talk to me like that

I’m just gonna stop replying since you clearly don’t get it and are just unnecessarily rude
Last edited by Ten-Ten; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.59%
Okay (86)
29.45%
A bit lacking (106)
36.3%
Not good at all (72)
24.66%

Watched Threads