The Student Room Group

Anglo European School

Hey,

Can anyone tell me if Anglo European School (Sixth form) is good? In terms of the language teachers and the teaching in general to be fair.

Thanks,
Hi, probably too late but I go here for sixth form and am just finishing my A levels.
I studied 2 languages and for a language school I found the quality of teaching to be vary variable; half of my teachers were amazing and half of them were god awful. You have very few lessons (4 hours per week per subject, we lose class time as a level students in order to fit in with the timetable for the IB) but that is standard for a sixth form. Teachrs miss classes a lot; I would say I missed at least 1 class every week due to absences etc but sometimes it was way more and it felt like I was just coming to school to sit in the library all day.
probably 80% of the cohort studies at least 1 language and many of my friends do 3. Every class has several natives and the level of the non-natives is very high compared to any other comprehensive school so if you are used to being top of the class in languages you may be humbled.
I was disappointed with their support during the university application process. I was an oxbridge applicant (rejected haha) and my reference was written literally on the day of the deadline by the head of sixth form who seemed too busy to provide high quality support until very close to the deadline.
The setting of the school in the village is nice and it is very diverse as people travel from all over Essex and east london as far as islington and hackney or even from ipswich, so that may be a plus for you. Most schools in Essex are very white but Anglo is quite diverse (although also very middle class!!).
The buildings are quite dated and the facilities aren't brilliant either.
I respect what they do at Anglo and I like the international feeling they try to foster but at the end of the day it is still a state school with its own constraints. I would recommend it but it doesn't always match up to its reputation.
(edited 1 year ago)
By the way I did Spanish French and Biology a levels so obviously experiences will depend on each subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending