Urgent!! Uni withdrawing position cos of no attendance, pls help

Watch
user0210
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone,

I am extremely desperate and really need advice. Just moments ago I received an email from my uni saying that cos of no attendance they will be withdrawing my position and I have until next wednesday to contact them giving reasons why.

Late september I was mugged in my town centre and had my phone, bank cards and other valuables. I've reported everything stolen and don't have the money to replace everything. since the whole situation I've been really shook up and haven't left my house since. I've taken unpaid leave off my weekend job as I just dont feel comfortable leaving my house just yet. The whole situation happened in broad daylight 12pm and no one around me helped me or checked if I was okay. I have to walk past the place of the incident every day and I just dont feel safe or comfortable in doing so atm.

Also around the same time I found out that my best friend at university has been diagnosed with cancer in his final stages and is in hospital. I dont have any other friends at uni and get severe anxiety when i'm in public without knowing anyone. I tried to go to the first week of uni and felt incredibly out of place and had a panic attack outside the lecture hall and quickly made my way home.

I know I should have made this clear to my university before but I didn't know what to say or how to go about and prove it. What do I do? Do I need medical notes explaining my anxiety and unwillingness to leave my house? If anyone has been in a similar situation please could you give me some advice?

Thank you so much!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by user0210)
Hi everyone,

I am extremely desperate and really need advice. Just moments ago I received an email from my uni saying that cos of no attendance they will be withdrawing my position and I have until next wednesday to contact them giving reasons why.

Late september I was mugged in my town centre and had my phone, bank cards and other valuables. I've reported everything stolen and don't have the money to replace everything. since the whole situation I've been really shook up and haven't left my house since. I've taken unpaid leave off my weekend job as I just dont feel comfortable leaving my house just yet. The whole situation happened in broad daylight 12pm and no one around me helped me or checked if I was okay. I have to walk past the place of the incident every day and I just dont feel safe or comfortable in doing so atm.

Also around the same time I found out that my best friend at university has been diagnosed with cancer in his final stages and is in hospital. I dont have any other friends at uni and get severe anxiety when i'm in public without knowing anyone. I tried to go to the first week of uni and felt incredibly out of place and had a panic attack outside the lecture hall and quickly made my way home.

I know I should have made this clear to my university before but I didn't know what to say or how to go about and prove it. What do I do? Do I need medical notes explaining my anxiety and unwillingness to leave my house? If anyone has been in a similar situation please could you give me some advice?

Thank you so much!
You need to speak to your personal tutor and student support services ASAP. It might also be a good idea to contact your student union. These parties can then tell you what evidence if any you need to provide. As you didn't keep them in the loop, that's why this has been escalated. Once you explain, they will help to support you.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
You should have contacted the department so that they could send you the extenuating circumstances process into play. You have valid reasons for missing lectures - assuming you notified the police and your bank of the robbery. You can offer to produce the police case number and get a letter from your bank confirming you were robbed and that your cards were cancelled. All this cannot be done by next Wednesday but you need to offer up the option of getting evidence.

Honestly, it's a shocking experience to be mugged so no surprise you are nervous about going out. If you have not already, visit your GP and register this emotional impact with him/her. Again, they can provide medical proof of your inability to attend lectures.

If you have missed so many lectures it may be wise to opt to redo the year - don't stack more pressure on yourself by trying to cath up. Take time to heal - mentally.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
You should have contacted the department so that they could send you the extenuating circumstances process into play. You have valid reasons for missing lectures - assuming you notified the police and your bank of the robbery. You can offer to produce the police case number and get a letter from your bank confirming you were robbed and that your cards were cancelled. All this cannot be done by next Wednesday but you need to offer up the option of getting evidence.

Honestly, it's a shocking experience to be mugged so no surprise you are nervous about going out. If you have not already, visit your GP and register this emotional impact with him/her. Again, they can provide medical proof of your inability to attend lectures.

If you have missed so many lectures it may be wise to opt to redo the year - don't stack more pressure on yourself by trying to cath up. Take time to heal - mentally.
All of this. 100%. Excellent advice
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by user0210)
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much!
Hi

I am very sorry to hear about your recent troubles.

In theory, you probably should have mentioned something to the university soon after these things happened to you, but in light on the situation, it is very understandable that you didn't. You have valid reasons as to why your attendance dropped and i am sure if you can provide the university with these explanations and perhaps evidence to support your case then they would be very accommodating.

I would advise reaching out to a few people about this. Firstly, your personal tutor, it is very important to keep them in the loop, they can advise and support you through your time at university. They can also write you letters to support your case when applying for extenuating circumstances. Secondly, i would speak to your students union, they can provide independent, confidential advice which i think would be useful for you at this time. Thirdly, i would visit your GP if you have not done so already, aside from getting the support you need during this time, i think it would be useful to have some form of letter from your GP that you can readily make available to your university.

I can understand that this has just added extra pressure onto what already sounds like a challenging time for you. Remember to take care of yourself throughout this process and reach out for support whenever you need it. You do not have to struggle alone.

I hope all goes well.

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.62%
Okay (106)
29.12%
A bit lacking (135)
37.09%
Not good at all (88)
24.18%

Watched Threads