anonymoussss77
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
i’m in year 12 and 2 months into my a level french course and i feel like i’m failing. it’s so hard and i want to change it but the deadline has ended
to change subjects. i would change it to biology but i’ve already missed so much

any advice?? 😭
should i just stick to it or try and change it
for reference i’m taking psychology and business and thinking of doing psychology at uni
sparkeldancer
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
I'm doing English, History, Biology and Computer Science (which I'm trying to drop), and am in year 12.

What is it about French you are finding hard? If you enjoy the course, or think you would as time goes on, stick with it. However, if you are predicted to fail/ believe you won't be able to catch up or won't enjoy it, try and change it as soon as possible.

If the vocabulary is making French difficult, Biology might also be challenging, since it is VERY wordy. The concepts however, while some are complicated (imo mitosis), understanding why certain things happen (e.g. surface area/ compact/ concentration gradient) make it bearable. Our school will have done 50% of the AS by the end of this year- quite a lot of content to catch up on.

However, Biology imo is more relevant for psychology, however French (and any language) always looks good, as it's one of the hardest A-levels to take alongside Further Maths. However, if you don't think you can do it I'd suggest you change it as Biology is more useful. The practicals are more complicated, and sort of interesting for me (Bio isn't my favourite but still good). From what I've heard bio is x10 easier than chem.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
I started Year 12 with four subjects, but I dropped two of them half way through the year, and only finished the year with two grades.
In Year 13 I took a new subject up, and then I stayed a third year at sixth form college to finish it off.

If you don't mind staying on an extra year, that's always an option for you. Speak to your tutor.

(P.S. one of my A Levels was in French, and yes I agree it's much more difficult than GCSE. I got an A* in GCSE but only a B in A Level French)
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (2)
9.52%
Okay (6)
28.57%
A bit lacking (6)
28.57%
Not good at all (7)
33.33%

Watched Threads