EatHose8745
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I have an average set of GCSEs 876665554. but at A-level im predicted A*A*A in computer science, maths and physics respectivley. I didnt take my GCSEs and I believe that they are not an accurate display of my acedemic career. I didn't have the interest I have for the subjects that I have now in seconday school, should I menation this in my personal statement or not. Im applying to Durham and Manchester btw.
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by EatHose8745)
I have an average set of GCSEs 876665554. but at A-level im predicted A*A*A in computer science, maths and physics respectivley. I didnt take my GCSEs and I believe that they are not an accurate display of my acedemic career. I didn't have the interest I have for the subjects that I have now in seconday school, should I menation this in my personal statement or not. Im applying to Durham and Manchester btw.
Universities rightly are not making any concessions for poor CAGs/TAGs - you had the opportunity to take the exams in the autumn, and you didnt.
Everyone was impacted by Covid and so you are not in anyway 'special'. You can mention it in your PS but it isnt going to get you any sympathy or extra consideration at all.
skylark2
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
If you had a moment of realisation about what you wanted to study after you'd done GCSEs, that's something you could talk about in your PS - but it should be the moment of realisation and what triggered it (and what it led you to research further etc.), not "look, look, I have an excuse for my GCSEs".
EatHose8745
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thanks for the replies, I am not looking for an excuse, rather I am looking for the best approach towards my personaal statement. I added the covid bit for context, I fully realise that the poor GCSEs are my fault and I have decided to turn my life around in A-Level and I am really happy with the results. I just dont want to be disadvantaged because I got lower GCSEs and now want to study computer Science.
booklover1313
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Thanks for the replies, I am not looking for an excuse, rather I am looking for the best approach towards my personaal statement. I added the covid bit for context, I fully realise that the poor GCSEs are my fault and I have decided to turn my life around in A-Level and I am really happy with the results. I just dont want to be disadvantaged because I got lower GCSEs and now want to study computer Science.
Your change in attitude should be mentioned by your teachers in your reference. They could say something like 'we strongly believe that xyz's GCSE results are not an accurate reflection of their current academic ability and potential. Their attitude towards studying has been exemplary over the last 2 years' or words to that effect.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
None of what you've said is relevant for a PS ...
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
I wouldn’t address it to be honest. It’s negative and not relevant.

90% of your PS should be about your suitability and motivation for the course. The reminder should be fluff about extra curriculars or whatnot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (0)
0%
Okay (2)
100%
A bit lacking (0)
0%
Not good at all (0)
0%

Watched Threads