is this normal? physics alevel grades

Watch
TEARSlol
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I'm in year 12 and just started physics A-level. I'm averaging about 50% in my exams and was wondering if this is normal. I heard that it's normal to not do well at the start but I'm getting worried now that I'm 2 months in. Any thoughts and revision tips would be extremely appreciated <3
Last edited by TEARSlol; 5 days ago
l.r.
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
yeah it’s normal to start a little rough. depending on exam board, 50% is an A anyway… physics is tough and the exams usually go badly for everyone. i’m currently doing physics too and my teacher showed me a graph of percentages vs grades from previous (non-covid) years for Edexcel exam board and apparently usually 50-60% is an A and 60%+ is an A*. so i wouldn’t worry too much.
revision techniques- do as many past paper questions as possible!! when you finish a lesson, go onto isaac physics and do the relevant gameboard for that topic, go onto physics and maths tutor and read the stuff on there and do past paper questions on that topic straight away to make sure everything is solidified in your memory. also, revisit stuff a month/ 2 months after you learnt it to make sure you remember. ik it sounds like a lot of work but i do 4 full A levels and an EPQ and i still make it work, the solution is motivation and coffee
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
Well, are you revising hard and getting 50% or doing no preparation for tests at all and getting 50%? Quite a big difference in that.
TEARSlol
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Well, are you revising hard and getting 50% or doing no preparation for tests at all and getting 50%? Quite a big difference in that.
I'm not going to lie, I'm not revising much. I think I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to revise for physics. I think it's because I'm still in a year 11 mindset where I barely revised and did well.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by TEARSlol)
I'm not going to lie, I'm not revising much. I think I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to revise for physics. I think it's because I'm still in a year 11 mindset where I barely revised and did well.
Sorry, A-levels doesn't work that way...
TEARSlol
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Sorry, A-levels doesn't work that way...
yeah I've unfortunately realised T . T
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
yeah I've unfortunately realised T . T
Good then.
TEARSlol
Rep:
(Original post by l.r.)
yeah it’s normal to start a little rough. depending on exam board, 50% is an A anyway… physics is tough and the exams usually go badly for everyone. i’m currently doing physics too and my teacher showed me a graph of percentages vs grades from previous (non-covid) years for Edexcel exam board and apparently usually 50-60% is an A and 60%+ is an A*. so i wouldn’t worry too much.
revision techniques- do as many past paper questions as possible!! when you finish a lesson, go onto isaac physics and do the relevant gameboard for that topic, go onto physics and maths tutor and read the stuff on there and do past paper questions on that topic straight away to make sure everything is solidified in your memory. also, revisit stuff a month/ 2 months after you learnt it to make sure you remember. ik it sounds like a lot of work but i do 4 full A levels and an EPQ and i still make it work, the solution is motivation and coffee
thank you soo soo much <3
i'll definitely try this out
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
It's pretty clear how to revise - you're graded on how well you do questions, so practice doing the questions and mark your own work. Start with doing questions with notes open to get a feel for which info is relevant to include and what isn't. After that, try without your notes and timing yourself.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 4 days ago
ah6100tsr
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Considering that you're not revising much, it's decent. You really should start now, it'll definitely improve your results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (1)
7.69%
Okay (5)
38.46%
A bit lacking (4)
30.77%
Not good at all (3)
23.08%

Watched Threads