Declaring mental health on UCAS application

Watch
de chalain
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

Not sure if this has been asked.

Has anyone declared their mental health problems on their Uni application?

I’m still in recovery from a disorder, though have made substantial improvements. My psych said I should put it on my application however I’m a bit hesitant to do so as I am applying for a medical related course and afraid they will discriminate because of it (even though I’ve been told they aren’t allowed to)

Anyway, what have been your experiences with this?

TY
Chi chi5
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Hey feel free to pm me about this if you’d like x
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
You're right that they can't discriminate against you due to a health problem. Disclosing your illness is more about making the university aware so they can offer you the right kind of support and are available to reach out should you start to struggle.

I went to uni a while ago and my school wrote a separate letter alongside my reference explaning about my illness and how it had affected the standard of my work etc. It's generally kept apart from your personal statement or anything like that.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 day ago
is.jenk
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Hi,
no, they are not allowed to discriminate against you- it is more aimed to see f you need any additional help or support when at university

check out this link to do with it:
https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/b...lth-difficulty

I have struggled with mental health issues for a long time and someone on here suggested that I declare it on my UCAS application but I have not been formally diagnosed as I haven't ever spoken about my struggles and so I do not think I will. However, I think you should as it means that the uni will be aware of your struggles and will be able to help you if you need it. If you look at the link and then at the bottom of the page it shows you a view other pages about declaring your mental health issues
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed