The Student Room Group

Is an MEng worth it for Chemical engineering

On one hand people say it is beneficial due to pay prospects and to become a chartered engineer, on the other hand others say that it is not worth it and many have done an MEng just to be in the same position as a BEng student post university
so my questions are:
1) Can you become chartered without a masters?
2) is there any pay difference between BEng and MEng?
3) What are the true pros and cons of an MEng?
4) Is a BEng good for international prospects?
5) is a BEng good for large companies?
Any insight and info would be appreciated
Reply 1
I can answer 1)
To get chartered you need to satisfy 3 criteria - educational base, initial professional development, competence & commitment https://www.icheme.org/membership/membership-grades/chartered-member/ . The degree covers the educational bit. If you complete an accredited MEng (or accredited BEng and MSc) then you have fully satisfied the educational base. If you haven't then you need to go through a thing called the individual case procedure where you prove you have gained that education in other ways - by other courses, learning on the job etc. If you have done an accredited BEng then you only have to prove the missing masters' bits. Getting this suitable experience and then going through ICP is likely to delay your being able to get chartered by a few years, doing the MEng would be quicker. Alternatively you could get IEng registration for which you would have satisfied the educational base.
Original post by YK33333
On one hand people say it is beneficial due to pay prospects and to become a chartered engineer, on the other hand others say that it is not worth it and many have done an MEng just to be in the same position as a BEng student post university
so my questions are:

1) @EOData has provided an excellent answer to this already. I have nothing additional to add it it.

2) It depends on the company. But I think any difference for a graduate role will be quite rare. For an experienced role, salary is often DOE - dependent on experience - and will be a function of your previous experience, previous salary, the new organisation's salary bands, etc.

3) With an MEng you meet all of the academic requirements for chartership, and - perhaps most importantly to graduates - it's something for companies to filter out candidates based on. Many of the large, well-known companies are very competitive, and require the MEng to apply.

4) I'm not sure. I think in Europe a masters is standard, but in the States a bachelors is fine.

5) This is partially answered in question 3. At the entry level, large companies may prefer MEng candidates to help trim down numbers of applicants. For an experienced hire I am not sure if it matters much - though as a (prospective) student, your main focus will be on that first job. And the simple answer is that it is advantageous to have an MEng in today's jobs market.
Original post by YK33333
so my questions are:

You probably don't have to figure this out before applying as most universities will allow you to transition to an MEng course from BEng.
Original post by Smack
1) @EOData has provided an excellent answer to this already. I have nothing additional to add it it.

2) It depends on the company. But I think any difference for a graduate role will be quite rare. For an experienced role, salary is often DOE - dependent on experience - and will be a function of your previous experience, previous salary, the new organisation's salary bands, etc.

3) With an MEng you meet all of the academic requirements for chartership, and - perhaps most importantly to graduates - it's something for companies to filter out candidates based on. Many of the large, well-known companies are very competitive, and require the MEng to apply.

4) I'm not sure. I think in Europe a masters is standard, but in the States a bachelors is fine.

5) This is partially answered in question 3. At the entry level, large companies may prefer MEng candidates to help trim down numbers of applicants. For an experienced hire I am not sure if it matters much - though as a (prospective) student, your main focus will be on that first job. And the simple answer is that it is advantageous to have an MEng in today's jobs market.

I can help answer 4 here. What Smack has said is correct- In Europe, an MEng is more traditional, but outside of Europe a BEng is valued. In terms of this, TheChemEngGuy has done a video describing "Why you should NOT go for a masters" (on YouTube) and this will hopefully answer some of those questions you have.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest