student12349_
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Does doing 4 A-levels give you a better chance of getting into university for medecine? I'm doing biology, chemistry, psychology and maths at the moment but I'm thinking of dropping maths. All my teachers are trying to convince me to keep maths because apparently universites prefer it and your more likely to get in. Is this true? Can you guys please give me some advice Thank you.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Your teachers are wrong. They have no idea what they are talking about.
user993990
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
maths helps with the BMAT and UCAT i think - both test at a challenging maths level and its easier if you do maths
Last edited by user993990; 1 week ago
Honey57
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by user993990)
maths helps with the BMAT and UCAT i think - both test at a challenging maths level and without it it's possible you could struggle
The maths alevel doesn’t help with the ucat, you just need simple gcse maths.
user993990
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Honey57)
The maths alevel doesn’t help with the ucat, you just need simple gcse maths.
yes obviously but if you havent done maths for 2 years its gonna be a bit harder
Sinnoh
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
The one instance where it would be helpful to keep maths would be if you were applying to Cambridge, because applicants with 2 science subjects (not counting psych) have much lower chances of getting an offer.
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by student12349_)
Does doing 4 A-levels give you a better chance of getting into university for medecine? I'm doing biology, chemistry, psychology and maths at the moment but I'm thinking of dropping maths. All my teachers are trying to convince me to keep maths because apparently universites prefer it and your more likely to get in. Is this true? Can you guys please give me some advice Thank you.
Nope, 4 A levels doesn’t help one bit.
Honey57
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
yes obviously but if you havent done maths for 2 years its gonna be a bit harder
Not really but ok
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it a lot. So if I do Bio, chem and psychology and get a good ucat score and get a bit of work experience do I have the same chance of getting into medicine as I do if I do 4-alevels (maths being the 4th one). My teachers told me that maths is a more academic subject so it will be valued more than psychology but I enjoy psychology a lot more. I checked University websites and most only require biology and chemistry so would it make a difference?

did these comments just go into one of your ears and out of the other?
user993990
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Not really but ok
yes really. if someone doesnt practice something for 2 years goes against someone that does, even if they were at the same skill level before, its obvious the person that does will be better
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
No point in doing 4 A-levels. AAA will always look better than ABBB. Cambridge is the only medical school that requires 3 science A-levels and the only medical school that looks at UCAS tariff is QMUL so you won't gain any advantage with other medical schools.
Honey57
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
yes really. if someone doesnt practice something for 2 years goes against someone that does, even if they were at the same skill level before, its obvious the person that does will be better
I didn’t do maths and I was fine. I had a friend that did alevel maths but didn’t get a great ucat score because the maths is a different kind of maths that’s more wordy and more hands on. It doesn’t matter if you’ve done the alevel or not.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Does doing 4 A-levels give you a better chance of getting into university for medecine?
No.
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
maths helps with the BMAT and UCAT i think - both test at a challenging maths level and its easier if you do maths
I didn't do maths for A-level and my QR score for my UCAT was 800
Galaxy2305
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I didn’t do maths and I was fine. I had a friend that did alevel maths but didn’t get a great ucat score because the maths is a different kind of maths that’s more wordy and more hands on. It doesn’t matter if you’ve done the alevel or not.
It's different for each person I guess, but for me, A-Level Maths helped a lot. I know it's not the same content, but it's the fact that when you work with numbers, your mental maths ability naturally improves and this allowed me to do QR without relying too much on the UCAT calculator. I managed to get 880 with 5 minutes to spare.
Last edited by Galaxy2305; 1 week ago
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Short answer? Nope.

you will have enough on with the admissions tests. Your time would e better spent on research into an area of medicine that interests you or an epq
Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Do you really think that someone who obviously has no real problems with maths is going to take more than a couple of hours practice to get back up to speed? I haven't done any real maths since I left Uni 30 years ago and I still manage to help my children with their "A "level homework!!
O.P does NOT need to do maths unless he's really considering Oxbridge!!
user993990
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nobody2u)
Do you really think that someone who obviously has no real problems with maths is going to take more than a couple of hours practice to get back up to speed? I haven't done any real maths since I left Uni 30 years ago and I still manage to help my children with their "A "level homework!!
O.P does NOT need to do maths unless he's really considering Oxbridge!!
why are you in a medicine thread for teenagers if you're 51?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
why are you in a medicine thread for teenagers if you're 51?
I'm not a teenager, and neither is there a requirement to be a teenager to use this forum.

That person could be a parent, a doctor, someone working in Uni admissions, a teacher etc. etc.

But to correct Nobody2u, Oxford doesn't need Maths - it's only (a few colleges) of Cambridge (the latter simply asks for 3 sciences - so Biology, Chemistry and Physics / Maths).
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
I'm not a teenager, and neither is there a requirement to be a teenager to use this forum.

That person could be a parent, a doctor, someone working in Uni admissions, a teacher etc. etc.

But to correct Nobody2u, Oxford doesn't need Maths - it's only (a few colleges) of Cambridge.
PRSOM!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (22)
8.87%
Okay (72)
29.03%
A bit lacking (93)
37.5%
Not good at all (61)
24.6%

Watched Threads