student12349_
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hey guys, I'm really interested in studying medicine at university. I do biology, chemistry and psychology at a-levels. Besides getting a good ucat score and a bit of work experience what else can I do to have a good chance of getting into university. And does it matter what your third a-level is? Do you guys have any tips to help me. Thank you
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
Your 3rd A-level can be anything for most medical schools except Cambridge which requires 3 sciences. You can volunteer in a care home as well. The best way to maximise offers is to apply strategically based on your stats eg. Don't apply to Oxford or Cardiff if you don't have straight 9's at GCSE.
Ellome
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by student12349_)
Hey guys, I'm really interested in studying medicine at university. I do biology, chemistry and psychology at a-levels. Besides getting a good ucat score and a bit of work experience what else can I do to have a good chance of getting into university. And does it matter what your third a-level is? Do you guys have any tips to help me. Thank you
Also, reading around medicine, attending webinars, doing research, maybe doing DofE, or other exra-cirricular activities like sports or music will show you're well-rounded.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
Read this thread regarding A-level subjects for medicine: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422

In summary, no it doesn't matter what your third subject is, except for Cambridge. So don't apply to Cambridge.

As noted above some medical schools formally score GCSEs when shortlisting applicants for interview, and some of those put a lot of weight on them (such as Oxford). If you have more average GCSEs, focus on medical schools which do not score GCSEs and/or only have minimum grade requirements (such as Imperial).

Research how the course is structured and taught, as there are different formats for medical degrees e.g. PBL. Also learn what the interview format is (if they interview) and understand what that means for preparing for it (I gather MMI formats are quite different to panel interviews).

Ultimately your goal when applying to medicine is to very carefully select four medical schools which you present the best profile for on the basis of understanding what their methodologies are for assessing applicants.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
I’ve edited the thread title to correct the spelling mistake :fyi:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (5)
9.62%
Okay (18)
34.62%
A bit lacking (15)
28.85%
Not good at all (14)
26.92%

Watched Threads