Any tips to improve work ethic?

Watch
Azuree
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm in my first semester at uni, my work ethic is no where near what it probably should be. I don't think I'll get higher than a 50-60% for them, are there any tips on what I can do to motivate myself to work harder. In particular, I'm struggling with essay work and what I should be doing to learn to be better at that. Is it detrimental if I don't do well in first year?
one_two_three
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I found that working in a group was great for my work ethic. Often we would be completing our own study but you have little conversations and breaks together which makes it more enjoyable which also meant that I was getting studying completed at times where, if I was alone, I would distract myself.

Also, figure out how you learn. We all have different learning styles and if you learn the best way for you to learn and retain information then you can work smarter which will improve your grade. You will also find the content more engaging which is motivational. I find so often people will read and make notes and highlight because that is what we have always done, and that is what we have been taught. But some people learn really well by listening, others will remember well by talking through a problem.

You could prep mini classes as if you are delivering them yourself because the best way to learn a topic is to know it well enough to teach.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Azuree)
I'm in my first semester at uni, my work ethic is no where near what it probably should be. I don't think I'll get higher than a 50-60% for them, are there any tips on what I can do to motivate myself to work harder. In particular, I'm struggling with essay work and what I should be doing to learn to be better at that. Is it detrimental if I don't do well in first year?
Hello

It is hard to maintain motivation whilst at university. If you do not have an end goal in sight, it is difficult sometimes to justify to yourself why you are doing your degree. But something obviously made you go to university, ask yourself, what was that reason? If you do have an end goal in sight, i would remind yourself of this every time you come to do work, to make sure you are putting in as much effort as you possibly can. Remember to always take breaks and give yourself time off. You are not a robot, you can't be doing work all the time and you shouldn't feel guilty about having some time to yourself.

It is not detrimental, no. But it is good practise to get into a good habit of work in first year, so you can hit the ground running in second year when your grades start to contribute to your overall degree classification.

If you are still having trouble with motivation, your university's well-being department might be able to help with your motivation. You could think about speaking to them if this persists. They are there to support you

I hope this helps!

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.81%
Okay (107)
29.16%
A bit lacking (135)
36.78%
Not good at all (89)
24.25%

Watched Threads