Trinity college admissions test engineering

Watch
Alf334455
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all, I have been invited to a trinity engineering interview. I have looked at the pre interview paper. I have watched the engineering mock interview on youtube, where the professor said a good students answers 5 of these questions. By this, does he mean getting the correct answer in the five of them, or going on the right track, since the questions are extremely difficult. Thank you
Last edited by Alf334455; 2 months ago
Itsmikeysfault
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
I'm doing the test aswell. Maybe he meant 5 mostly correct solutions. Looking at the practice test, 5 seems like a reasonable amount.
Alf334455
Rep:
(Original post by Itsmikeysfault)
I'm doing the test aswell. Maybe he meant 5 mostly correct solutions. Looking at the practice test, 5 seems like a reasonable amount.
Yes that seams plausible, getting 4 questions correct or 5 seams reasonable, also, would you happen to know if the statistic questions can be done by reasoning( as in explaining the probabilities and getting to the answer) without actually using statistical notation?
Claree
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Alf334455)
Yes that seams plausible, getting 4 questions correct or 5 seams reasonable, also, would you happen to know if the statistic questions can be done by reasoning( as in explaining the probabilities and getting to the answer) without actually using statistical notation?
I imagine you'll get a more concise and pleasing solution using e.g. binomial coefficients but anyway you'll have to reason how you do each step.

you can explain your reasoning in words; I'm sure that adding some maths would give a better answer.

(I would see it as a combinatorics question I e. how many rearrangements, as opposed to a probability question)
Itsmikeysfault
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I worked backwards from the answer as I haven't learnt combinatorics. If it wasn't a 'show that' question, I probably wouldn't have been able to answer it.
Last edited by Itsmikeysfault; 2 months ago
Alf334455
Rep:
I worked backwards from the answer as I haven't learnt combinatorics. If it wasn't a 'show that' question, I probably wouldn't have been able to answer it.
That’s exactly what I did too, seeing that that counts as a right answer, getting 5 correct is far more reasonable
Itsmikeysfault
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That’s exactly what I did too, seeing that that counts as a right answer, getting 5 correct is far more reasonable
How did you find it?
Alf334455
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How did you find it?
To be honest, I found it as expected, there were some questions I attempted but couldn't really get, so I ended up sending 5 questions, which I think should mostly be correct, wbu?
Itsmikeysfault
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
To be honest, I found it as expected, there were some questions I attempted but couldn't really get, so I ended up sending 5 questions, which I think should mostly be correct, wbu?
I was able to answer 6 fully and did half of 3 questions. I skipped the stats one without even reading it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
6.53%
October 2021 (248)
45.01%
November 2021 (66)
11.98%
December 2021 (69)
12.52%
January 2021 (71)
12.89%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (44)
7.99%