why burning wood not increase carbon dioxide

Watch
zarahh09
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
when u burn trees it increases the co2 in atmosphere right?

But when u burn things like wood chips why does this NOT increase co2? I am confused

Is it because they are like plants or represent plants that already have absorbed carbon from atmosphere so no net effect?
Tammie2345524
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It does release carbon dioxide. I assume your answer is right and that the carbon in the wood chips was absorbed by trees so there's no net effect... that's only a good thing if the trees are continuously being replaced as they're chopped down though.
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have heard politicians argue that burning wood is carbon neutral, but if you chop down a 50 year old tree and turn it into biomass to burn, then plant a "twig" or very small tree then how is carbon off setting. If we are in a climate emergency then having to wait 40-50 years for small trees to absorb CO2 is just a lie!

I think most of these offset schemes are a scam and do not actually reduce CO2.

If you check out some green websites like greenpeace they are campaigning to have this lie about many biomass fuels being carbon neutral stopped. I do not think it is sustainable..but thats just my opinion!!

https://www.science-revision.co.uk/earth_resources.html
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Burning most things, including wood, releases CO_2. Like scimus said, planting a dingy little sapling (sorry saplings) will not offset all that carbon instantly, and netting a return might take much much longer than what you'd expect (see: not instant.) I also hedge that removing a tree greatly modifies the ecosystem where the tree is, and likely has a butterfly effect on other things.

It's just another one of those climate-washing lies out there like how recycling is perfectly sustainable (hint: downcycling, and energy costs at every step of the way- it should be done, but cutting back on your waste itself is the golden ticket) or how everyone instantly switching to electric cars is going to solve global warming (it won't, and there's most definitely a complex formula determining whether it's better for you to keep using your old petrol-puffer than to buy a shiny new EV rather than putting your money into alternative green assets.)
scimus63
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I agree with Callicious, it all comes down to "stuff" how much stuff do people need to be happy- unfortunately we live in a world where the main goal of most people is get as much stuff as possible - unfortunately its killing nature and will ultimately I believe just make a lot of people unhappy - even the ones who's main aim to make lots of money! We unfortunately live in a world where I believe large corporations and multinationals are controlling our lives far too much and basically encouraging greed and a lack of compassion for others and the planet.

Sorry just felt like having a moan!
scimus63
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I agree with Callicious, it all comes down to "stuff" how much stuff do people need to be happy- unfortunately we live in a world where the main goal of most people is get as much stuff as possible - unfortunately its killing nature and will ultimately I believe just make a lot of people unhappy - even the ones who's main aim to make lots of money! We unfortunately live in a world where I believe large corporations and multinationals are controlling our lives far too much and basically encouraging greed and a lack of compassion for others and the planet.

Sorry just felt like having a moan!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads