Raynerm
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have been scratching my head on how offers are made.
I am considering applying for a AAA course (Business) with D*D (accepted subject in BTEC national level 3) and A level predicted C. I am also studying an EPQ. I live in a deprived postcode but I don’t think I qualify for contextual as I go to a good school. I also have Dyslexia but I am not expecting any grade change for that. Math requirement is 5 and I have a 4 in GCSE but I am resitting it.
Is this still a realistic application for consideration. Anyone have any experience?
If an offer is made ….how would it work? Is it conditional with grade to achieve.? What would happen if I don’t get the AAA and say I get AAB? What if I don’t get the 5 in GCSE? Would I be considered at all? Maybe I can only apply with the AAA? Any help on my understanding would be super helpful as it will help me gage where I am at and how strong my application would be.
godle
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
Have you checked the contextual offer criteria? You could possibly still qualify for a contextual offer, check here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergradua...ts/contextual/
Also, this blog from Exeter talks about EPQ which might help: https://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/teachers/...educed-offers/
Raynerm
Rep:
(Original post by godle)
Have you checked the contextual offer criteria? You could possibly still qualify for a contextual offer, check here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergradua...ts/contextual/
Also, this blog from Exeter talks about EPQ which might help: https://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/teachers/...educed-offers/
I will check this thank you
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Raynerm)
I am considering applying for a AAA course (Business) with D*D (accepted subject in BTEC national level 3) and A level predicted C. I am also studying an EPQ. I live in a deprived postcode but I don’t think I qualify for contextual as I go to a good school. I also have Dyslexia but I am not expecting any grade change for that. Math requirement is 5 and I have a 4 in GCSE but I am resitting it.
Is this still a realistic application for consideration. Anyone have any experience?
If an offer is made ….how would it work? Is it conditional with grade to achieve.? What would happen if I don’t get the AAA and say I get AAB? What if I don’t get the 5 in GCSE? Would I be considered at all? Maybe I can only apply with the AAA? Any help on my understanding would be super helpful as it will help me gage where I am at and how strong my application would be.
Unless they reduce offers with an EPQ, then they’re likely to consider you as having the equivalent of ABC for an AAA course. (They may have a specific BTEC + AL grade offer listed, including subject requirements)

Two grades below is risky, so I would consider this your most aspirational application and have others more around ABC.

Only the uni themselves can tell you whether you’d be considered at all. There’s no harm in calling to ask.
Raynerm
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
Unless they reduce offers with an EPQ, then they’re likely to consider you as having the equivalent of ABC for an AAA course. (They may have a specific BTEC + AL grade offer listed, including subject requirements)

Two grades below is risky, so I would consider this your most aspirational application and have others more around ABC.

Only the uni themselves can tell you whether you’d be considered at all. There’s no harm in calling to ask.
Thank you

Such a conundrum.

As far as I can see I would be a A*A (equivalent) with a C for a AAA course. If I qualify on the EPQ front I would be 1 grade below. Does anyone have any experience on how a offer is presented. For example ……if offers are made for someone who is ABB as an example …..does that mean I would get an offer for ABB. what about my * ….would that count
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Thank you

Such a conundrum.

As far as I can see I would be a A*A (equivalent) with a C for a AAA course. If I qualify on the EPQ front I would be 1 grade below. Does anyone have any experience on how a offer is presented. For example ……if offers are made for someone who is ABB as an example …..does that mean I would get an offer for ABB. what about my * ….would that count
You would really need to check with the uni if their BTEC offers are not clear on the website.

There is no standard equivalency for BTECS > AL conversion. It's up to the uni as to what they want.

You offer won't be based on your predictions. If you are successful you'll just get the standard offer for the course. It might expressed as something like:

Achieve D*D and A at AL

or

Achieve D*D* and B at AL
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
How likely are you to get an offer? We can’t answer this, you can email Exeter and ask if your a credible candidate but it’s not possible for us to say.

What happens if you miss the GCSE resit, realistically you’ll probably get rejected although its at Exeters discretion.

If you miss the A-level grades, much harder to say, it could depend by how much, in what subject, how other Exeter offer holders did, is their space… so again its really at Exeters discretion.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
As above it is technically a risk, although Exeter are pretty well known for making lower offers than standard or making the standard offer to those with lower grades, and then being very "flexible" on results day. They have on average over a 90% offer rate across their courses as well. So while for other AAA courses it would be a big risk for Exeter that is mitigated somewhat by the fact they demonstrably inflate their entry criteria on their website but in practice accept many students across their courses with lower grades.

Note there may be exceptions to the above (e.g. medicine and possibly other healthcare professions courses) and you will still need to meet any subject requirements. Also check to make sure a BTEC is accepted for the course you are applying to, and make sure you indicate your GCSE Maths grade is pending so they know you are resitting it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (11)
9.82%
Okay (30)
26.79%
A bit lacking (37)
33.04%
Not good at all (34)
30.36%

Watched Threads