User031121
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys, sorry for the length of this. I really don't know what decision I should be making.

So as an aspiring art psychotherapist (yes this profession exists lol) I have a love for anything psychological but also creative. Writing has always been my natural strongest area (I do art in my spare time). I've gotten an A* at A-levels and 9s in both English Literature and Language for GCSE. So a part of me doesn't want to let the writer in me go. This is why I would want to do a joint degree in English and Psycholgy at Keele. The essay-writing of just a plain psychology degree just isn't enough for me.

However, a part of me thinks that just going to GoldSmiths to study clinical psychology is the better option. I live in London so financially it's better... but also my masters in art psychotherapy will also be at GoldSmiths so everything seems easier and less of a gamble if I stay in London to study. It's the closest uni to me too.

But again, at the same time what if Keele is the better uni course-wise? I'm scared that the science of a plain clinical psychology degree will overwhelm me. I love psychology but I've only ever gotten B's... in both my GCSE and A-level. What if balencing out the lab reports and studies with the creative-writing of my degree at Keele will be better for my mental health and happiness? (I struggle with depression and anxiety and it's gotten in the way of the grades I've gotten in the more logical subjects at school).

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advice would be really appreciated x
ciaralb
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
So I’m in Upper 6th so I obviously haven’t attended university never mind Keele or GoldSmiths (although I’ve applied to Keele). Both sound like great courses but maybe make a pros and cons list including nightlife, accommodation, student satisfaction etc and of course your mental health. Don’t stick yourself in a course that your mental health will deteriorate and you’ll burn out in. Good luck in making your choices
User031121
Rep:
(Original post by ciaralb)
So I’m in Upper 6th so I obviously haven’t attended university never mind Keele or GoldSmiths (although I’ve applied to Keele). Both sound like great courses but maybe make a pros and cons list including nightlife, accommodation, student satisfaction etc and of course your mental health. Don’t stick yourself in a course that your mental health will deteriorate and you’ll burn out in. Good luck in making your choices
Awh, thank you. This advice is really helpful<3 I hadn't even thought about making a pros and cons list, so I'll deffo be making one to help me decide. It'll help me unjumble the mess I've made overthinking about it all, haha.

What course are you looking to study if you don't mind me asking btw?
ciaralb
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by User031121)
Awh, thank you. This advice is really helpful<3 I hadn't even thought about making a pros and cons list, so I'll deffo be making one to help me decide. It'll help me unjumble the mess I've made overthinking about it all, haha.

What course are you looking to study if you don't mind me asking btw?
Medicine hopefully and if not I would apply for Forensic Science w/ Neuroscience via Clearing - and no problem at all I did it with my unis too
Last edited by ciaralb; 1 week ago
User031121
Rep:
(Original post by ciaralb)
Medicine hopefully and if not I would apply for Forensic Science w/ Neuroscience via Clearing - and no problem at all I did it with my unis too
Ah cool! Forensic Science has always sounded like a really interesting subject to me. I hope all goes well and you get to do the course that you want
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.03%
Okay (100)
29.5%
A bit lacking (122)
35.99%
Not good at all (83)
24.48%

Watched Threads