EIL3EN
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone,

I've accepted a place to train to teach secondary history next year and I'm trying to practice time management now by doing free online courses in the evenings so I'm used to working after the work day ends! Does anyone know where I can find free maths courses? I've looked on Future Learn and can't see any basic ones. I don't need this as I have a B in GCSE maths but would like to brush up on my knowledge!

Thank you!
englishhopeful98
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Openlearn has some good ones
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EIL3EN)
Hi everyone,

I've accepted a place to train to teach secondary history next year and I'm trying to practice time management now by doing free online courses in the evenings so I'm used to working after the work day ends! Does anyone know where I can find free maths courses? I've looked on Future Learn and can't see any basic ones. I don't need this as I have a B in GCSE maths but would like to brush up on my knowledge!

Thank you!
Honestly if the plan is to teach secondary history, I would focus your free time instead on reading up on history and general teaching literature. And I'm saying this as a maths teacher.

Though honestly, I don't think 'training yourself' to work longer days is really necessary. Don't get yourself burned out and exhausted before you've already started training.
EIL3EN
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
Honestly if the plan is to teach secondary history, I would focus your free time instead on reading up on history and general teaching literature. And I'm saying this as a maths teacher.

Though honestly, I don't think 'training yourself' to work longer days is really necessary. Don't get yourself burned out and exhausted before you've already started training.
I'm already department head for social studies at an international school and spend my free time listening to history podcasts and reading books about history. Not to get the knowledge but because I find it fun and interesting. When I look at all the posts about the PGCE the area of concern I have is the workload outside of the school day. I'm at school 7:30-4:30 and would like to get used to studying on top of that. I've done a couple of the Future Learn courses on teaching and my school runs professional development days monthly which I've been a part of for the last 4 years so that's why I want to improve my time management. I don't work weekends as a rule so I don't think I'll be burned out early.
(Original post by englishhopeful98)
Openlearn has some good ones
Thank you, I'll take a look.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads