Sb2005
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello
Can anyone explain to me what normally distributed variation is from the types of variation as I can't seem to understand it very well
Schoolwork123
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
So continuous variation of a characteristic shows a continuous range of possibilities between a maximum and minimum value; there are no distinct groups. Examples include height and weight.

If we collect values for a continuous trait for a large number of people, we find that relatively few people will show values close to the extremes of the range - most people show values close to the middle of the range (i.e. the average). This is normal distribution.

If we plot this as a graph, we get a "bell-shaped" normal distribution curve (see attached image - downloaded from internet).
In this graph, the values could be the heights of a large group of people. Most people have a medium height (average values), while relatively few people are at the extremes of the range, i.e. short (lower values) or tall (higher values).

Hope this makes sense!
Attached files
Last edited by Schoolwork123; 1 week ago
Sb2005
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Schoolwork123)
So continuous variation of a characteristic shows a continuous range of possibilities between a maximum and minimum value; there are no distinct groups. Examples include height and weight.

If we collect values for a continuous trait for a large number of people, we find that relatively few people will show values close to the extremes of the range - most people show values close to the middle of the range (i.e. the average). This is normal distribution.

If we plot this as a graph, we get a "bell-shaped" normal distribution curve (see attached image - downloaded from internet).
In this graph, the values could be the heights of a large group of people. Most people have a medium height (average values), while relatively few people are at the extremes of the range, i.e. short (lower values) or tall (higher values).

Hope this makes sense!
Yes it does 😊
Thank you very much!!
Schoolwork123
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sb2005)
Yes it does 😊
Thank you very much!!
No problem at all - I remember finding it hard to get my head around at first, but it made sense in the end
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.06%
Okay (99)
29.29%
A bit lacking (122)
36.09%
Not good at all (83)
24.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed