Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I feel a little lonely at the moment. I've been single for 2 years, I've seen people since then but nothing serious. I haven't slept with someone for 6 months, the options are there but I think I'm looking for something a bit more meaningful, and I don't want to settle for less. I'm on a few dating apps but nothing has really come of them.

There is a guy I really really like. But I'm too shy to put myself out there and shoot my shot. I'm scared to be rejected. He's from my gym, and I always talk to him, hoping he'll get the hint, but I think he's a little shy too.

I don't have many friends, or a social life because a lot of my time goes on work. I'm usually okay and distracted with work, but on days I'm not working I feel lonely. The friends I do have are in relationships, so I don't spend a lot of time with them. And I'm not very close with my family to spend time with them.

Has anyone got any advice?
riffy.sh
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
I feel lonely too, I’m more than happy to stay in touch w u if you want (I’m 18, female). As for your situation, it’s okay to be single. There’s no rush to be with someone, even though I know seeing other couples happy and in love can feel upsetting / bitter sometimes. But you’ll find someone again in the most unexpected way. I say next time you’re talking to the guy from your gym, casually ask him for his number or something. Slip it into a convo ur already having. If he rejects you, take it as a blessing bc then you know he’s not right for you, there are other men who would be more suited for u who you can move on to. If he rejects you, don’t let that bring your worth down as his opinion on you does not define ur value. You could even stay friends if he gives a gentle response (eg he’s not looking for a relationship bc he just got out of a breakup). If he’s disrespectful w his rejection then you’ve dodged a bullet. But that’s only 50% of what could happen. There’s an equal chance he’ll give u his number and you can take it from there. See where it goes, go on casual dates
Last edited by riffy.sh; 4 days ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by riffy.sh)
I feel lonely too, I’m more than happy to stay in touch w u if you want (I’m 18, female). As for your situation, it’s okay to be single. There’s no rush to be with someone, even though I know seeing other couples happy and in love can feel upsetting / bitter sometimes. But you’ll find someone again in the most unexpected way. I say next time you’re talking to the guy from your gym, casually ask him for his number or something. Slip it into a convo ur already having. If he rejects you, take it as a blessing bc then tok know he’s not right for you, there are other men who would be more suited for u who you can move on to. If he rejects you, don’t let that being your worth down as his opinion on you does not define ur value. You could even stay friends if he gives a gentle response (eg he’s not looking for a relationship bc he just got out of a breakup). If he’s disrespectful w his rejection then you’ve dodged a bullet. But that’s only 50% of what could happen. There’s an equal chance he’ll give u his number and you can take it from there. See where it goes, go on casual dates & get to know each other. Dating doesn’t have to be stressful, just treat it as a fun extra thing in your life. I understand how sh-tty it can feel to not have a good social life. Sometimes, it’s okay to be alone - get to know yourself, take yourself out on dates to shopping centres and parks and cafes. Watch your favourite movies with warm dinners and hot chocolate. Social interaction is a human necessity so try and ask ur friends for a meet up- a healthy friendship should be given time and effort to. Just bc they’re in a relationship doesn’t mean they can’t spend time with you. If they’re not able to, i understand making new friends in person is difficult esp if you don’t have many options to meet people - sometimes talking to people online help with that because even tho u can’t physically meet them, the human interaction does make u feel less alone. Trust me, i’m in somewhat the same position
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I was thinking maybe i could ask the guy in the gym if he wants to do a workout together some time. That way, it's more casual as I don't think I have the confidence to ask for his number. You've given me a good idea to maybe take myself out for coffee this weekend when I'm off work, rather than feel lonely on my own, so thank you for that. Feeling this way is really difficult sometimes. I hope you're okay too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (136)
33.75%
Yes - a trusted person (106)
26.3%
No (109)
27.05%
I'm not sure (52)
12.9%

Watched Threads