Manchester or Bristol as my insurance choice for Business?

Watch
Chezneyfrenzey
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I decided Kings are gonna be my first choice for Business Management as they have the best best rep of the 3 uni's both in the Uk and abroad but I'm stuck between Bristol and Manny for my 2nd choice.

Manchester has a better international rep and is higher than Bristol in both the UK and international tables for Business Management but apparently Bristol is seen as a stronger semi target and it does have a better UK rep than Manchester overall.

So I'm kinda thinking of picking Manchester as it looks like a stronger uni for Management but I've gotta make sure I make the right choice. I saw that Manchester is higher than KCL too internationally for business but the other pro's I've said of KCL as they are the most prestige of the 3 and will be heard of the most abroad too has them first for me.

So yeah should I have Manchester or Bristol as my insurance choice? Whatever uni I don't have as my insurance I'll put 3rd and then I'll have Nottingham and Loughborough as my 4th and 5th picks. Manny and Bristol have a better international rep (top 10 uk uni based off international rankings) which is why I haven't considered either Nottingham or Loughborough but I know both are good uni's too.
ilililili
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
All 5 unis you have mentioned have similar rep especially kcl, Bristol and notts. Just go where you like the most as a city and stop worrying about tiny differences on league tables
ashvinsingh
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chezneyfrenzey)
I decided Kings are gonna be my first choice for Business Management as they have the best best rep of the 3 uni's both in the Uk and abroad but I'm stuck between Bristol and Manny for my 2nd choice.

Manchester has a better international rep and is higher than Bristol in both the UK and international tables for Business Management but apparently Bristol is seen as a stronger semi target and it does have a better UK rep than Manchester overall.

So I'm kinda thinking of picking Manchester as it looks like a stronger uni for Management but I've gotta make sure I make the right choice. I saw that Manchester is higher than KCL too internationally for business but the other pro's I've said of KCL as they are the most prestige of the 3 and will be heard of the most abroad too has them first for me.

So yeah should I have Manchester or Bristol as my insurance choice? Whatever uni I don't have as my insurance I'll put 3rd and then I'll have Nottingham and Loughborough as my 4th and 5th picks. Manny and Bristol have a better international rep (top 10 uk uni based off international rankings) which is why I haven't considered either Nottingham or Loughborough but I know both are good uni's too.
Visit the unis, consider distance from home, price of accommodation, student life, night life, whether there’s a placement year very important imo. Little differences on the league tables means absolutely nothing, especially if you don’t like where you’re staying!
Indililam1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Picking a university based soley on its reputation is ridiculously foolish. Employers couldn't care less whether you go to Manchester or Bristol, they care about the classification of your degree and how your experience will be beneficial for their company.
You could very well pick Manchester for its reputation and absolutely hate it there, only gaining a 2:2 or 3rd, which will impact your future, as opposed to getting a 1st at somewhere with a "lower" reputation such as Bristol, which looks 100x better.
Rankings mean absolutely nothing in the real world, despite what TSR will tell you, so choose the course and university that will be best for you.
Chezneyfrenzey
Rep:
(Original post by ilililili)
All 5 unis you have mentioned have similar rep especially kcl, Bristol and notts. Just go where you like the most as a city and stop worrying about tiny differences on league tables
Notts isn't known internationally, so it doesn't overall as a Uni compared to KCL and they are far lower ranked for Management in the UK. Not sure about their ranking in the world for management as I've not looked but I'm guessing so too and as for Bristol, they are lower ranked than KCL for Management both in the Uk and international tables. KCL is the best uni of them which is why they are my first choice and KCL and Manny are the only ones known well worldwide so if I was to move abroad later in life, it would still be as highly regarded if not higher.

That's why I'm stuck between Manny and Bristol.
Bristol>Manny in the UK but abroad its definitely the other way round. This is why KCL has to be my first pick as it's the only Uni I've mentioned that does well for both. Nottingham, although a very good Uni, just don't have good enough of an international reputation as overall they aren't in the top 10 for UK uni's so if I'm to go abroad, the degree won't give me the same as KCL/Manny or even Bristol tbh thats why I've gone for Bristol and Manny as both are top 10 UK universities in the international tables.

(Original post by ashvinsingh)
Visit the unis, consider distance from home, price of accommodation, student life, night life, whether there’s a placement year very important imo. Little differences on the league tables means absolutely nothing, especially if you don’t like where you’re staying!
I care more about there being a year abroad than placement year ngl. I'll just do summer internships for the work experience. The year abroad is something I won't get ever again for free so might aswell take it. Manchester is the only one close to home I'll say that.

(Original post by Indililam1)
Picking a university based soley on its reputation is ridiculously foolish. Employers couldn't care less whether you go to Manchester or Bristol, they care about the classification of your degree and how your experience will be beneficial for their company.
You could very well pick Manchester for its reputation and absolutely hate it there, only gaining a 2:2 or 3rd, which will impact your future, as opposed to getting a 1st at somewhere with a "lower" reputation such as Bristol, which looks 100x better.
Rankings mean absolutely nothing in the real world, despite what TSR will tell you, so choose the course and university that will be best for you.
Kings is my first pick though. I just don't know whether to pick Manchester or Bristol as my insurance. Bristol is seen as better than Manchester in the UK but abroad and for management in the UK and abroad, Manchester is more respected looking at the tables and that.

And like I said if I go abroad, employers will pick a Manchester student over a Bristol one looking at the difference in the Management tables. But in the UK employers would prefer Bristol in general but I'm not sure about banks and stuff as Bristol is seen as a stronger semi target here but Manchester beats them in the tables and that. This is exactly why I've got no clue as to why will be my insurance. But at least I know Kings is my first choice.

And it will matter for graduate jobs in the field I'm going in unfortunately which will likely be banking/finance related.
ashvinsingh
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Notts isn't known internationally, so it doesn't overall as a Uni compared to KCL and they are far lower ranked for Management in the UK. Not sure about their ranking in the world for management as I've not looked but I'm guessing so too and as for Bristol, they are lower ranked than KCL for Management both in the Uk and international tables. KCL is the best uni of them which is why they are my first choice and KCL and Manny are the only ones known well worldwide so if I was to move abroad later in life, it would still be as highly regarded if not higher.

That's why I'm stuck between Manny and Bristol.
Bristol>Manny in the UK but abroad its definitely the other way round. This is why KCL has to be my first pick as it's the only Uni I've mentioned that does well for both. Nottingham, although a very good Uni, just don't have good enough of an international reputation as overall they aren't in the top 10 for UK uni's so if I'm to go abroad, the degree won't give me the same as KCL/Manny or even Bristol tbh thats why I've gone for Bristol and Manny as both are top 10 UK universities in the international tables.

I care more about there being a year abroad than placement year ngl. I'll just do summer internships for the work experience. The year abroad is something I won't get ever again for free so might aswell take it. Manchester is the only one close to home I'll say that.

Kings is my first pick though. I just don't know whether to pick Manchester or Bristol as my insurance. Bristol is seen as better than Manchester in the UK but abroad and for management in the UK and abroad, Manchester is more respected looking at the tables and that.

And like I said if I go abroad, employers will pick a Manchester student over a Bristol one looking at the difference in the Management tables. But in the UK employers would prefer Bristol in general but I'm not sure about banks and stuff as Bristol is seen as a stronger semi target here but Manchester beats them in the tables and that. This is exactly why I've got no clue as to why will be my insurance. But at least I know Kings is my first choice.

And it will matter for graduate jobs in the field I'm going in unfortunately which will likely be banking/finance related.
Employees aren’t going to pick a Bristol student over a Manchester student, or a KCL student over a Nottingham student, what they value is experience. Don’t get hung up on rankings… remember you will be going home every now and then - the more often you go home the closer to home you’ll need to go to uni because travel is time consuming and expensive. I am applying to Manchester too and think it’s location is ideal, not too far from any major city. Bristol however is very much southern, go to offer holder days/open days and speak to students there using unibuddy. It’s foolish to assume a slighter higher ranking uni guarantees you better graduate prospects…
Chezneyfrenzey
Rep:
(Original post by ashvinsingh)
Employees aren’t going to pick a Bristol student over a Manchester student, or a KCL student over a Nottingham student, what they value is experience. Don’t get hung up on rankings… remember you will be going home every now and then - the more often you go home the closer to home you’ll need to go to uni because travel is time consuming and expensive. I am applying to Manchester too and think it’s location is ideal, not too far from any major city. Bristol however is very much southern, go to offer holder days/open days and speak to students there using unibuddy. It’s foolish to assume a slighter higher ranking uni guarantees you better graduate prospects…
It does guarantee a better graduate prospects, provided everything else is the same. Employers especially abroad would pick a KCL student over a Nottingham one as Nottingham isn't known outside of the UK. And KCL is seen as a top 10 uni in the UK. Nottingham aren't.

And for Manchester and Bristol, UK Employers would in many cases tbh if everything else was equal but for Management since Manchester does better on the tables they probably are about equal or Manny are slightly ahead. And Bristol are seen as the 10th/11th best UK uni too. Manchester normally are just in top 15.
Last edited by Chezneyfrenzey; 1 month ago
ilililili
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It does guarantee a better graduate prospects, provided everything else is the same. Employers especially abroad would pick a KCL student over a Nottingham one as Nottingham isn't known outside of the UK. And KCL is seen as a top 10 uni in the UK. Nottingham aren't.

And for Manchester and Bristol, UK Employers would in many cases tbh if everything else was equal but for Management since Manchester does better on the tables they probably are about equal or Manny are slightly ahead. And Bristol are seen as the 10th/11th best UK uni too. Manchester normally are just in top 15.
Mate you’re so deluded. No one is going to say KCL is 9th and Bristol is 10th so I must hire the KCL grad
Chezneyfrenzey
Rep:
(Original post by ilililili)
Mate you’re so deluded. No one is going to say KCL is 9th and Bristol is 10th so I must hire the KCL grad
KCL isn't 9th though lol. There's Oxbridge and the 3 big London Uni's then after them it's Edinburgh & KCL really so they would be 6th/7th if you based it off full reputation.

And no mate because KCL rank far higher in the UK tables for management and they do also in the worldwide tables.

And I never said that they'd get the job in all cases lol. I said if they both had everything else the same they would get the job as Bristol isn't better than KCL for Management either abroad or in the UK looking at the tables and KCL is almost 100 places higher than Bristol in the worldwide tables on QS for Management too. So even if you were to leave the UK especially if employers saw two applicants and everything else was the same, theyll pick the KCL student.

My question was between Bristol and Manchester as my 2nd choice but these replies have just made me realise Manchester is a better bet. Better internationally and better for Business Management on all tables.
Last edited by Chezneyfrenzey; 1 month ago
Indililam1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
KCL isn't 9th though lol. There's Oxbridge and the 3 big London Uni's then after them it's Edinburgh & KCL really so they would be 6th/7th if you based it off full reputation.

And no mate because KCL rank far higher in the UK tables for management and they do also in the worldwide tables.

And I never said that they'd get the job in all cases lol. I said if they both had everything else the same they would get the job as Bristol isn't better than KCL for Management either abroad or in the UK looking at the tables and KCL is almost 100 places higher than Bristol in the worldwide tables on QS for Management too. So even if you were to leave the UK especially if employers saw two applicants and everything else was the same, theyll pick the KCL student.

My question was between Bristol and Manchester as my 2nd choice but these replies have just made me realise Manchester is a better bet. Better internationally and better for Business Management on all tables.
If you think employers are genuinely going to waste their time trawling through different league tables (no two are the same, by the way, because it's BS) you're completely wrong.
Manchester generally has a better reputation than Bristol in terms of prestige, so you're also misinformed there.
Pick either option, it's your future and you clearly seem to know better than anyone else. I don't know why you asked the question in the first place if you're going to completely disregard all feedback.
Last edited by Indililam1; 1 month ago
ilililili
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah sorry I guess everyone has got away from the initial question. No one here is trying to mug you off. Look at the modules and visit the unis and cities then decide where you would rather live for 3 years. I promise you the reputation difference is tiny both domestically and abroad.
ashvinsingh
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Uni prestige means absolutely nothing. League tables give a general indicator as to how good the uni is for the specific subject. 1 - do you have your offers back? If so what are they?
2 - have you seen Bristol or Manchester via open days or events? 3 - have you talked to students who go to these unis what their experiences of it were? 4 - do you want to go to a large or small university… there’s so many things to consider when picking the uni right for you. Prestige is not one of these.
Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you're talking about what order to put them on your UCAS form, I don't think they see. If you're talking about which one to firm and put as an insurance it only matters once all have given you offers, in which case the places 3 to 5 don't come into it. However where you study is only important if you stick the course out, and there have been a lot of students dropping out this year because the experience wasn't what they expected. Yes league tables are important, but they're not everything, getting a good degree is! Once you have your first graduate job, even your degree becomes less important, so make sure that you choose somewhere you'll be happy. I went to Loughborough and it didn't stop me getting offers from all of the big 4, so stop fixating on league tables!
Last edited by Nobody2u; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.13%
October 2021 (226)
44.75%
November 2021 (60)
11.88%
December 2021 (65)
12.87%
January 2021 (60)
11.88%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.51%