The Student Room Group

What do you think about these Uni rankings?

This will be based off local and international rep together. Debate it. For me it would be:

Tier 1: Oxford, Cambridge
Tier 2: Imperial, LSE, UCL
Tier 3: King's, Edinburgh, Warwick
Tier 4: Bristol, Durham, Manchester
Tier 5: St Andrew's, Nottingham, Exeter, Lancaster, Bath, Birmingham, Leeds
Tier 6: York, Sheffield, Queen Mary, Loughborough
Tier 7: Southampton, Newcastle, Liverpool, QUB, Cardiff, Leicester, Reading, Surrey, Rest of Russel Group (if I missed any out), City UOL, Sussex
Reply 1
pointless
Original post by Chezneyfrenzey
This will be based off local and international rep together. Debate it. For me it would be:

Tier 7: Southampton, Newcastle, Liverpool, QUB, Cardiff, Leicester, Reading, Surrey, Rest of Russel Group (if I missed any out), City UOL, Sussex

How good a university is depends on what you need/want from any given university. What you've done is compile a fairly arbitrary list.
As someone who isn't UK-based (but applying for postgraduate studies in the UK), I must say that the TSR debates that spring up about 'university tiers' have tended to confuse me. The UK has an excellent reputation for education quality and all the universities listed seem to have their respective strengths and weaknesses - plus a fair comparison cannot be made unless we get down to the specifics (subject matter, campus lifestyle, research etc). Also, why would the 'rest of the Russell Group' be ranked as Tier 7 in your list? Strange.
Down to the course, the modules, internship possibilities, big city /small city choice, the teaching, the accommodation, the extra curriculars.... etc etc
Tier 1: The one I like the most
Tier 2: All the others.
Done.
Original post by ROTL94
Tier 1: The one I like the most
Tier 2: All the others.
Done.

Tier 1: The Uni I go to.
Tier 2: Every over Uni.
Tier 3: Also the Uni I go to.
Original post by mah1000000

Yeah, the one I go to is the one I like.
If I had to do an additional tier it'd be the university bankers with a w that I don't like graduated from.
Original post by mah1000000

Too accurate.
I’d say Warwick and Durham are in the same tier, Edinburgh would be in that tier too with possibly trinity college Dublin ? Under that I’d say are the red brix
London Southbank should be tier 0
Original post by ReadandBench
I’d say Warwick and Durham are in the same tier, Edinburgh would be in that tier too with possibly trinity college Dublin ? Under that I’d say are the red brix

Not a UK uni though.

This list is ****... why is Bath and St Andrew's in tier 5? is it because they're not RG unis?
Original post by summerbirdreads
This list is ****... why is Bath and St Andrew's in tier 5? is it because they're not RG unis?

Because the OP doesn't personally rate them for whatever reason.

These lists are at the same sort of level of accuracy and usefulness as a height list going 1) men 2) women 3) older kids 4) younger kids. Yes, it's true if you average absolutely everything and take the exact same definitions I did, but there are so many exceptions that it's basically worthless as a guide for an individual. Once you get past Oxford and Cambridge, pretty much every university is much "better" for some subjects than others. (Even then, Oxford and Cambridge are about as much use as a chocolate teapot if you want to study, say, music production or sports science, and one person's "better" factor will be another person's dealbreaker).
“What do you think about these Uni rankings?”

That there’s something lacking in the rankers life that leads them to try to boost their self esteem by making up arbitrary rankings.

God job OP. Maybe go and hug your nan or donate some time to a homeless charity?
Original post by skylark2
Because the OP doesn't personally rate them for whatever reason.

These lists are at the same sort of level of accuracy and usefulness as a height list going 1) men 2) women 3) older kids 4) younger kids. Yes, it's true if you average absolutely everything and take the exact same definitions I did, but there are so many exceptions that it's basically worthless as a guide for an individual. Once you get past Oxford and Cambridge, pretty much every university is much "better" for some subjects than others. (Even then, Oxford and Cambridge are about as much use as a chocolate teapot if you want to study, say, music production or sports science, and one person's "better" factor will be another person's dealbreaker).

I agree.. for example York is one of the best for chem, it's better than Warwick, KCL or UCL for that course but on the other hand Warwick is better for maths... it's stupid and pointless to rank unis like this.
For anyone considering a University in the UK, I would seek as much objective evidence of quality as you can, I would look at the;

1) QAA Report for the institution (they are like Ofsted for Higher Education)

and

2) The Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) Report

Both are easy to find online. I would definitely go to open days too to get a feel for the place

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Only here to deliver some Bath slander.
1. From this List OP either goes Kings or Warwick because Tier 3 and Tier 4 should basically be the same tier. Warwick isn't better than Bristol, Durham, or Manchester.
2. St. Andrews should be closer to Tier 1-2 in terms of subjective rep alone.
3. Tier 6 and Tier 5 should be the same tier. Bath (WUR 250-300) and Loughborough (WUR 300 - 400) on international rankings alone are lower than the rest in that cluster and should be lower, but if you're averaging that out with their Domestic rankings then fair play, I guess.
4. York, QM, and Southampton should be at Tier 5 once you place St. Andrews higher away from it.

Quick Reply

Latest