I'm 18M born in the UK but finished high school abroad,I need to do GCSEs.

Watch
Kinersto
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have returned to the UK and I have a few questions about the gcses,could you please answer them for me,it would be highly appreciated:

1.Which exam board should i choose?(Is Edexcel okay?)

2.Is it realistic for me to prepare for the summer 2022 GCSE exam at home?(What resources should i use?(Are CGP books enough?))

3.How much subjects should i take?(I plan on taking Math,English language,English literature,Chemistry,Biology and Physics)

4.Is thinking of doing the exam in the summer 2022 a bit ambitious if I start revising now on my own?
EOData
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
If you have qualifications from abroad then you don't necessarily need to do any GCSEs - it could just be an expensive waste of time. What are you hoping to do in the future?

GCSE Maths with Edexcel is a good choice.
IGCSE with Edexcel might be a better choice for English Language and Sciences (it avoids any of the issues round the speaking and listening or practicals)
Do you really need to do English Literature?
Last edited by EOData; 6 days ago
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Kinersto)
I have returned to the UK and I have a few questions about the gcses,could you please answer them for me,it would be highly appreciated:

1.Which exam board should i choose?(Is Edexcel okay?)

2.Is it realistic for me to prepare for the summer 2022 GCSE exam at home?(What resources should i use?(Are CGP books enough?))

3.How much subjects should i take?(I plan on taking Math,English language,English literature,Chemistry,Biology and Physics)

4.Is thinking of doing the exam in the summer 2022 a bit ambitious if I start revising now on my own?
It could be possible but do you really need GCSEs though?
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Are you doing A levels?
These are far more important. If you can show why you didnt do GCSEs, then Unis wont require them.
Kinersto
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by EOData)
If you have qualifications from abroad then you don't necessarily need to do any GCSEs - it could just be an expensive waste of time. What are you hoping to do in the future?

GCSE Maths with Edexcel is a good choice.
IGCSE with Edexcel might be a better choice for English Language and Sciences (it avoids any of the issues round the speaking and listening or practicals)
Do you really need to do English Literature?
I was wondering the same thing but i heard that english literature is compulsory and required for gcses.Can i drop it as i am not good at english but better at math.Help would be greatly appreciated.
Kinersto
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Are you doing A levels?
These are far more important. If you can show why you didnt do GCSEs, then Unis wont require them.
Thanks for the reply.I was thinking of preparing A-levels at home and doing both the gcses and A-levels exam in the same year.

About if i can prove if i did an equivalent to the gcses,i did the high school national exam in somalia and even have a certificate and a letter from my old school but i am worried whether they would accept it or not as the standard of education there isn't as high as the UK.If they accept it could i start straight away or would i have to wait an entire year to be admitted to sixth form on august next year.
Kinersto
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
It could be possible but do you really need GCSEs though?
Most jobs that i tried to apply for require gcses and i doubt they would accept the high school equivalent which i got from somalia.
EOData
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Kinersto)
I was wondering the same thing but i heard that english literature is compulsory and required for gcses.Can i drop it as i am not good at english but better at math.Help would be greatly appreciated.
No GCSEs are compulsory and the only 2 that everyone would benefit form having (for future jobs etc) are Maths and English Language. (The vast majority of students take Eng Lit in schools because the way the government measures schools' performance incentivises this).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.15%
Okay (42)
29.58%
A bit lacking (50)
35.21%
Not good at all (37)
26.06%

Watched Threads