The Student Room Group

I'm 18M born in the UK but finished high school abroad,I need to do GCSEs.

I have returned to the UK and I have a few questions about the gcses,could you please answer them for me,it would be highly appreciated:

1.Which exam board should i choose?(Is Edexcel okay?)

2.Is it realistic for me to prepare for the summer 2022 GCSE exam at home?(What resources should i use?(Are CGP books enough?))

3.How much subjects should i take?(I plan on taking Math,English language,English literature,Chemistry,Biology and Physics)

4.Is thinking of doing the exam in the summer 2022 a bit ambitious if I start revising now on my own?
Reply 1
If you have qualifications from abroad then you don't necessarily need to do any GCSEs - it could just be an expensive waste of time. What are you hoping to do in the future?

GCSE Maths with Edexcel is a good choice.
IGCSE with Edexcel might be a better choice for English Language and Sciences (it avoids any of the issues round the speaking and listening or practicals)
Do you really need to do English Literature?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kinersto
I have returned to the UK and I have a few questions about the gcses,could you please answer them for me,it would be highly appreciated:

1.Which exam board should i choose?(Is Edexcel okay?)

2.Is it realistic for me to prepare for the summer 2022 GCSE exam at home?(What resources should i use?(Are CGP books enough?))

3.How much subjects should i take?(I plan on taking Math,English language,English literature,Chemistry,Biology and Physics)

4.Is thinking of doing the exam in the summer 2022 a bit ambitious if I start revising now on my own?

It could be possible but do you really need GCSEs though?
Are you doing A levels?
These are far more important. If you can show why you didnt do GCSEs, then Unis wont require them.
Reply 4
Original post by Kinersto
I was wondering the same thing but i heard that english literature is compulsory and required for gcses.Can i drop it as i am not good at english but better at math.Help would be greatly appreciated.

No GCSEs are compulsory and the only 2 that everyone would benefit form having (for future jobs etc) are Maths and English Language. (The vast majority of students take Eng Lit in schools because the way the government measures schools' performance incentivises this).

Quick Reply

Latest