Can I not go to college at 16

Watch
Ryanwilliamsr
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I currently working nights and planning to keep it that way and since I've been working nights I'm normally to tired to go to college so I was wondering will I get in trouble for not showing up at all and just telling them I quit. Because my college called me saying that if I no longer show up they will just kick me off the course and I'll have to do this part time course which I really don't want to do. And besides I passed all my GCSEs
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
England
You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

stay in full-time education, for example at a college
start an apprenticeship or traineeship
spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

Anyway, you shouldn't be working nights on a regular basis:

Workers aged 16 or 17
Staff aged 16 or 17 cannot work between midnight and 4am.

They usually cannot work between 10pm and 6am (this can be changed to not working between 11pm and 7am, by contract) but there are exceptions if they work in:

agriculture
cultural, sporting, artistic or advertising activities
a hospital
a hotel or catering
retail
post or newspaper delivery
In exceptional circumstances they can work at night if there’s no adult to do the work and they’re needed to either:

handle a sudden increase in demand
maintain the continuity of a service or production - for example, filming

https://www.gov.uk/night-working-hours
Mimiachoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
You can if you want, there are other ways to get a career you enjoy without going to school.
I’d say way your pros and negatives, think of things like:
Is the work you’re doing after school something you’d want to continue for along time?(I wouldn't recommend if it’s in retail).
Would the careers that my alevels offer be something I would really enjoy?
Are there other pathsway to get to a career that I want, such as an apprenticeship?

Hopefully this helped, Good luck!! 😊
Millerrules
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
if I were you, I would continue to study, because you will most likely need education. but if you are sure that you don't need it, then quit and do what you like. after all, you live only once!
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ryanwilliamsr)
I currently working nights and planning to keep it that way and since I've been working nights I'm normally to tired to go to college so I was wondering will I get in trouble for not showing up at all and just telling them I quit. Because my college called me saying that if I no longer show up they will just kick me off the course and I'll have to do this part time course which I really don't want to do. And besides I passed all my GCSEs
You can get an apprenticeship which if you don't wan to do collage is a route to look at you will still be in collage one day a week but you'll be working and earning or get some other kind of other training until you're 18 after that you don't need to do anything.
Honey57
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Education is rly important. Try to do it until 18 and try really hard. If you don’t want to continue it after 18, that’s fine because look for apprenticeships instead. Alternatively, you could look for apprenticeships for 16 year olds but I personally think the 18 year old ones are better because your are more educationally qualified.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (24)
10.21%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (7)
2.98%
Finding the time to revise (15)
6.38%
Finding the motivation (65)
27.66%
Getting distracted (43)
18.3%
Procrastination (79)
33.62%
Having the tools you need (1)
0.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.43%

Watched Threads