What are some good resources for self studying A-Level Computer Science?

Watch
TSComega
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm self studying/learning Computer Science by myself as my teacher doesn't explain things properly at times. I, however, cannot afford a textbook at this current moment and do not want to download any pdfs. What are some good resources for learning and self studying the content? I want to use Craig'n'Dave, but I've heard bad things about them.
tedibare
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I use physics and maths tutor, they have very good information but I wouldn’t just rely on that website. What bad things did you hear about Craig n Dave?
TSComega
Rep:
(Original post by tedibare)
I use physics and maths tutor, they have very good information but I wouldn’t just rely on that website. What bad things did you hear about Craig n Dave?
Mostly that they don't go that in-depth into the content (at least not as much as something like a textbook would) and that they waffle a lot. A friend of mine told me that it would be a lot better to just study from a textbook but I don't have that much money.
Last edited by TSComega; 1 week ago
Itsmikeysfault
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Physics and maths tutor. I've also heard isaac computer science is good but the textbook is the best resource imo. Why don't you want to download a pdf? You could probably find a pdf of it online
Last edited by Itsmikeysfault; 1 week ago
TSComega
Rep:
(Original post by Itsmikeysfault)
Physics and maths tutor. I've also heard isaac physics is good but the textbook is the best resource imo. Why don't you want to download a pdf? You could probably find a pdf of it online
For me at least, pdfs are a bit too annoying to deal with. With the textbooks that I own, I'd like to be able to annotate and make physical notes on the side, which is why I usually prefer textbooks. It's also quite hard to follow along with something while using a textbook pdf since you're not able to use a pen or something similar with a screen. Mouse cursers also tend to get in the way a lot.
TSComega
Rep:
Physics and maths tutor. I've also heard isaac physics is good but the textbook is the best resource imo. Why don't you want to download a pdf? You could probably find a pdf of it online
I will try to use a textbook pdf for studying but that's probably when I get my hands on an ipad in a month.
tedibare
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Rlly? I prefer using physics and maths tutor over the textbook I got from school but it can be handy sometimes
heccyeah
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TSComega)
I'm self studying/learning Computer Science by myself as my teacher doesn't explain things properly at times. I, however, cannot afford a textbook at this current moment and do not want to download any pdfs. What are some good resources for learning and self studying the content? I want to use Craig'n'Dave, but I've heard bad things about them.
isaac computer science and physics & maths tutor
Itsmikeysfault
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tedibare)
Rlly? I prefer using physics and maths tutor over the textbook I got from school but it can be handy sometimes
Yh. Even though the textbook is quite chunky, the information in it is very good
TSComega
Rep:
Yh. Even though the textbook is quite chunky, the information in it is very good
Do you have any textbook recommendations? The only one I've tried is the PG online textbook and it was a bit erroneous at times.
tedibare
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TSComega)
Do you have any textbook recommendations? The only one I've tried is the PG online textbook and it was a bit erroneous at times.
Yh that’s the one I have
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.56%
Okay (86)
29.35%
A bit lacking (107)
36.52%
Not good at all (72)
24.57%

Watched Threads