syzygy85
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
hi! i've been wanting to take a-level french for a while now, but i've been reading around and it does seem like a LOT of work. i'm fully prepared for it though, i do believe french is a chill (ish) language to learn and with the typically smaller class sizes i think the subject could be good for me. i enjoy it at gcse, why not a-level?

i would love to hear some tips/info about a-level french from people who have done or are doing the subject. i'm still unsure about the entire spec tbh! thank you so much.
fridacatlo
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
Hi,
I do A-level french and am in year 13. I love it (most of the time ) and do not regret taking it. Personally, work-load wise it's probably been my most consistently time consuming a-level (I also do biology and chemistry) but what's great is that there isn't really much revision, compared to other A-levels. It's mainly about staying on top of practicing speaking, vocab learning and grammar from the start, so by the end when you're going through the hard revision slog with your other subjects, french can take the back burner a bit.
I think if you liked gcse, you'll like A-level and probably more. It's similar topics but a lot meatier eg. instead of my family, you do the changing family life in France. You also get to do literature.
Feel free to ask me any questions you have
thegeek888
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
French has about 5,000 candidates nationally, Spanish 9,000 and German just 850. So a language is a good idea if you want to impress course admissions tutors.
cheapheadphone
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
I took German A level along side maths and computing, it was a massive challenge but i thoroughly enjoyed it and now thah ive graduated from uni, its a unique aspect of myself when doing interviews. i dont know your other subjects but learning a foreign language at A level is actually a very difficult task and is a good way of demonstrating certain skills that employers look for.

i did a level german with the new syllabus which is the same as the one youll do, but i did gcse with old syllabus so it was actually bit harder for my year group, but iirc i studied a book, a film, speaking project about some topic. if you keep on top of the vocab, learn the grammar properly and watch french tv/movies (with subtitles) , and practice writing regularly , you'll do better than i did, i basically failed my year 12 mocks and put so much pressure on my self in year 13, in the end i got a B but only just by 1 mark haha

look overall its a great thing to do a foreign language at a level, its unique, a challenge (unis appreciate this as well when you eventually apply) and can open up a lot of career opportunities for you in the future, if you already have a desire to do it and have done gcse, id say go for it.
syzygy85
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by fridacatlo)
Hi,
I do A-level french and am in year 13. I love it (most of the time ) and do not regret taking it. Personally, work-load wise it's probably been my most consistently time consuming a-level (I also do biology and chemistry) but what's great is that there isn't really much revision, compared to other A-levels. It's mainly about staying on top of practicing speaking, vocab learning and grammar from the start, so by the end when you're going through the hard revision slog with your other subjects, french can take the back burner a bit.
I think if you liked gcse, you'll like A-level and probably more. It's similar topics but a lot meatier eg. instead of my family, you do the changing family life in France. You also get to do literature.
Feel free to ask me any questions you have
hi, wow, tysm for the info! I think I've made my mind up, and I'm applying for french! one thing I'm terrified for though: the essays and the listening..not great at them at gcse, how much more a-level :/

biology and chemistry with french, huh? you must be working harddd, good luck! I'm thinking of taking biology too, but I was wondering if the workload with biology (which is notoriously time-consuming, right?) would be too difficult to manage. how do you cope with 2 sciences lol TT
syzygy85
Rep:
(Original post by cheapheadphone)
I took German A level along side maths and computing, it was a massive challenge but i thoroughly enjoyed it and now thah ive graduated from uni, its a unique aspect of myself when doing interviews. i dont know your other subjects but learning a foreign language at A level is actually a very difficult task and is a good way of demonstrating certain skills that employers look for.

i did a level german with the new syllabus which is the same as the one youll do, but i did gcse with old syllabus so it was actually bit harder for my year group, but iirc i studied a book, a film, speaking project about some topic. if you keep on top of the vocab, learn the grammar properly and watch french tv/movies (with subtitles) , and practice writing regularly , you'll do better than i did, i basically failed my year 12 mocks and put so much pressure on my self in year 13, in the end i got a B but only just by 1 mark haha

look overall its a great thing to do a foreign language at a level, its unique, a challenge (unis appreciate this as well when you eventually apply) and can open up a lot of career opportunities for you in the future, if you already have a desire to do it and have done gcse, id say go fo
thank you for the info!

modern foreign languages really are quite difficult, but the pros of learning them far outweigh the cons. props to you for doing maths and computing a-level alongside it; I think a B in freaking german is applaudable. good luck to you for the future
syzygy85
Rep:
(Original post by thegeek888)
French has about 5,000 candidates nationally, Spanish 9,000 and German just 850. So a language is a good idea if you want to impress course admissions tutors.
I didn't know that a-level mfl were that little in numbers haha! I was thinking from around 10-13k? good to know though thank you!
cheapheadphone
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by syzygy85)
thank you for the info!

modern foreign languages really are quite difficult, but the pros of learning them far outweigh the cons. props to you for doing maths and computing a-level alongside it; I think a B in freaking german is applaudable. good luck to you for the future
good luck with your a levels, and btw yeah mfl a-level numbers are tiny, my german class had like 9 people lol
fridacatlo
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by syzygy85)
hi, wow, tysm for the info! I think I've made my mind up, and I'm applying for french! one thing I'm terrified for though: the essays and the listening..not great at them at gcse, how much more a-level :/

biology and chemistry with french, huh? you must be working harddd, good luck! I'm thinking of taking biology too, but I was wondering if the workload with biology (which is notoriously time-consuming, right?) would be too difficult to manage. how do you cope with 2 sciences lol TT
Glad you've decided to go for it
re biology, it is probably one of the most content heavy a-levels, but it's definitely manageable. What other subject do you want to take, and do you know what you might want to do at uni?
syzygy85
Rep:
(Original post by fridacatlo)
Glad you've decided to go for it
re biology, it is probably one of the most content heavy a-levels, but it's definitely manageable. What other subject do you want to take, and do you know what you might want to do at uni?
I have no clue what I wanna do as a profession or at uni so I'm taking 2 facilitating subjects that I enjoy learning. I was looking at dentistry as a potential career but I decided that it was more work than I could realistically handle and that I'm not as openly social as a dentist would need to be; aka introverted. Oh and I absolutely despise chemistry. I'm not willing to sit through 2 years more of advanced chemistry du touuut. I wanna take sociology as a third more "laidback" option and I'm quite interested in social studies.
Last edited by syzygy85; 3 days ago
cheapheadphone
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
btw i recommend watching la haine, its a really good french movie and not only that, itll help with your learning
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (1)
8.33%
Okay (5)
41.67%
A bit lacking (3)
25%
Not good at all (3)
25%

Watched Threads