The Student Room Group

changing uni or staying at my current uni

I am currently doing first year computer science with artificial intelligence at the university of leeds. The experience has been very bad so far due to the fully online teaching and lack of support from lecturers and tutors. I am very much considering leaving this uni now and transferring to another one for next year. This would mean I take the rest of the year off and start first year again at a different uni. I will still be doing the same course . I am considering going to Uni of Nottingham or Birmingham. I would like some suggestions on any other unis that would be worth applying for and also some advice on whether Nottingham or Birmingham is a good choice for computer science? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by sp2710
I am currently doing first year computer science with artificial intelligence at the university of leeds. The experience has been very bad so far due to the fully online teaching and lack of support from lecturers and tutors. I am very much considering leaving this uni now and transferring to another one for next year. This would mean I take the rest of the year off and start first year again at a different uni. I will still be doing the same course . I am considering going to Uni of Nottingham or Birmingham. I would like some suggestions on any other unis that would be worth applying for and also some advice on whether Nottingham or Birmingham is a good choice for computer science? Thank you

I went to the University of Leeds and really enjoyed it and had a great experience (before the full force of the pandemic). It is a top uni for the subject I did but i'm not sure about your subject. I think most Uni's will be in the same boat with the pandemic. Maybe Nottingham and Birmingham won't be much better. I would have a look at the Uni tables for overall rep and for your specific course and maybe go based off that?
Reply 2
Original post by AC7654
I went to the University of Leeds and really enjoyed it and had a great experience (before the full force of the pandemic). It is a top uni for the subject I did but i'm not sure about your subject. I think most Uni's will be in the same boat with the pandemic. Maybe Nottingham and Birmingham won't be much better. I would have a look at the Uni tables for overall rep and for your specific course and maybe go based off that?

Thank you for your response. I have looked at Nottingham and Birmingham and both unis are in person this year for computer science. As for overall reputation. Nottingham and Leeds are very similar when it comes to global, uk and computer science rankings. Birmingham however has a higher ranking in those aspects. I understand Leeds is a great uni for my course and in general (that’s why I chose it) but the experience has been terrible and I honestly don’t want to go through my entire first year like this and at the end feel like I’ve either learnt nothing (which won’t be good for second year) or want to go to another uni anyway. It will then have just felt like a waste of a year. I wanted to maybe take the time off for self study and work so when I go back into first year I have a bit of a head start. Do you think that’s a good idea?
Reply 3
Original post by sp2710
Thank you for your response. I have looked at Nottingham and Birmingham and both unis are in person this year for computer science. As for overall reputation. Nottingham and Leeds are very similar when it comes to global, uk and computer science rankings. Birmingham however has a higher ranking in those aspects. I understand Leeds is a great uni for my course and in general (that’s why I chose it) but the experience has been terrible and I honestly don’t want to go through my entire first year like this and at the end feel like I’ve either learnt nothing (which won’t be good for second year) or want to go to another uni anyway. It will then have just felt like a waste of a year. I wanted to maybe take the time off for self study and work so when I go back into first year I have a bit of a head start. Do you think that’s a good idea?

No problem. Maybe if you feel like this then I would go with your heart and leave Leeds and try to get in Birmingham if you have the grades. Even if you feel like you are wasting a year leaving it would be better in the long run. You may as well go to a better uni and hopefully come out with a better class of degree than staying at Leeds and potentially find it harder and not enjoying it. I would try and get some work experience before you start in Birmingham.
Reply 4
Original post by AC7654
No problem. Maybe if you feel like this then I would go with your heart and leave Leeds and try to get in Birmingham if you have the grades. Even if you feel like you are wasting a year leaving it would be better in the long run. You may as well go to a better uni and hopefully come out with a better class of degree than staying at Leeds and potentially find it harder and not enjoying it. I would try and get some work experience before you start in Birmingham.

That is what I'm planning on doing. I am going to take the rest of this year to better my work ethic and habits and also get a job. It is what my heart is saying so I think I'm just going to take the risk and do it. I know that I'm giving up a degree in Leeds but like you said if I can get in a better place then it would be better for my future. Thank you very much for your advice I appreciate it. And good luck with your future as well!

Quick Reply