Are Politics, Economics and Chemistry ok to do Law at uni?

Watch
ABCD125
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi,
I'm in U6 and currently doing 4 subjects (Bio, Chem, Econ and Politics). I was thinking of dropping Biology to give me more time to concentrate on the other three. Would this combination of subjects be looked upon favourably by universities for Law?

Furthermore, I'm predicted an A* in Politics and Economics and A in Chemistry. If I manage to get these grades at the end of the year, which calibre of university should I be aiming to apply to next year?

Many thanks.
EOData
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
Your A levels are fine.
imastudentoo
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ABCD125)
Hi,
I'm in U6 and currently doing 4 subjects (Bio, Chem, Econ and Politics). I was thinking of dropping Biology to give me more time to concentrate on the other three. Would this combination of subjects be looked upon favourably by universities for Law?

Furthermore, I'm predicted an A* in Politics and Economics and A in Chemistry. If I manage to get these grades at the end of the year, which calibre of university should I be aiming to apply to next year?

Many thanks.
I think you should research what universities you may want to go to and this depends on your goals e.g. staying local or don't mind living out. Then see what subjects they are asking for.
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
For most universities they don't actually put any subjects specifically - an essay subject is usually suggested but not required - just get high grades like you are doing and

As for calibre of universities maybe got for one A*A*A (that you like, not for prestige), and 2-3 at A*AA like you are getting, and 1-2 AAA just to have something to fall on
imastudentoo
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
For most universities they don't actually put any subjects specifically - an essay subject is usually suggested but not required - just get high grades like you are doing and

As for calibre of universities maybe got for one A*A*A (that you like, not for prestige), and 2-3 at A*AA like you are getting, and 1-2 AAA just to have something to
Economics and politics are your essay subjects so its upto you what you want to drop based on end of year grades.
I will take the tip about choosing universities because it's good.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by imastudentoo)
Then see what subjects they are asking for.
They won't be asking for any specific subjects - law never does.
Hi,

Many thanks.
Only sixth-formers think that universities look 'favourably' on particular subjects, or combinations of subjects. In real life, as long as any mandatory subjects are covered (which don't exist for law), and any GCSE requirements are met, you can do whatever you want, within reason.

You don't need a fourth A level and it confers no advantage to your application, so definitely drop the biology and concentrate on the three important A levels on which your offer will rest. A*A*A will allow you to apply to nearly all universities for law.

Note that subject names do not have capital letters: 'biology', 'chemistry', 'economics' etc. Good writing is crucial for law
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
AAA will always look better than ABBB.
And 'subjects' are irrelevant for LLB Law.
Drop Biology and work your socks off for the other three subjects.
ABCD125
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
AAA will always look better than ABBB.
And 'subjects' are irrelevant for LLB Law.
Drop Biology and work your socks off for the other three subjects.
Thank you!
ABCD125
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
They won't be asking for any specific subjects - law never does.

Only sixth-formers think that universities look 'favourably' on particular subjects, or combinations of subjects. In real life, as long as any mandatory subjects are covered (which don't exist for law), and any GCSE requirements are met, you can do whatever you want, within reason.

You don't need a fourth A level and it confers no advantage to your application, so definitely drop the biology and concentrate on the three important A levels on which your offer will rest. A*A*A will allow you to apply to nearly all universities for law.

Note that subject names do not have capital letters: 'biology', 'chemistry', 'economics' etc. Good writing is crucial for law
Thank you very much for your advice. And thanks for the correction regarding subject names - I always tend to be too generous when it comes to capitalisation!
ABCD125
Rep:
(Original post by imastudentoo)
Economics and politics are your essay subjects so its upto you what you want to drop based on end of year grades.
I will take the tip about choosing universities because it's good.
Thank you both for your responses.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Hi,

Many thanks.
Hi ABCD125,

The combination of subjects that you plan on keeping are perfectly fine so that shouldn't be a problem at all. Despite the fact that chemistry and economics are not really related it doesn't matter anyway but you may find that politics would be a suitable subject given the nature of study involved. Overall there is normally not any specific subject requirements to study law at university, with most universities it is usually quite flexible, few may have their own preferences of what they'd rather you studied but generally it isn't so limited. It depends I guess on where you're thinking of studying at. In regard to your second question, your predicted grades are fantastic so well done! I can't really say much about recommendations as its up to you at the end of the day where you feel best placed to study and what your own preferences are, so take the time to research thoroughly and explore all your options.

I hope that helps still answer your questions and I wish you the best of luck with your studies!

Sarah- ULaw student Ambassador.
lalexm
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Hi,

Many thanks.
You can potentially get in anywhere with A*AA. That even meets the requirement from Cambridge. There are no required subjects for law as the others have said. Having an essay based subject, which you have, is not a requirement but it would just help you as there is a lot of reading and writing in law.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Hi,

Many thanks.
You can apply anywere with predictions of A*A*A - you could consider Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Kings (if you want to study in London) or other good unis outside London for Law like Durham,Bristol or Nottingham. However, it's wise to have at least one good non LNAT uni amongst your options, just in case you have a bad day with regard to that - somewhere like Leeds, York, Warwick, Exeter, Manchester etc
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 day ago
ABCD125
Rep:
Report Thread starter 14 hours ago
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hi ABCD125,

The combination of subjects that you plan on keeping are perfectly fine so that shouldn't be a problem at all. Despite the fact that chemistry and economics are not really related it doesn't matter anyway but you may find that politics would be a suitable subject given the nature of study involved. Overall there is normally not any specific subject requirements to study law at university, with most universities it is usually quite flexible, few may have their own preferences of what they'd rather you studied but generally it isn't so limited. It depends I guess on where you're thinking of studying at. In regard to your second question, your predicted grades are fantastic so well done! I can't really say much about recommendations as its up to you at the end of the day where you feel best placed to study and what your own preferences are, so take the time to research thoroughly and explore all your options.

I hope that helps still answer your questions and I wish you the best of luck with your studies!

Sarah- ULaw student Ambassador.
Thank you for your response!
ABCD125
Rep:
(Original post by lalexm)
You can potentially get in anywhere with A*AA. That even meets the requirement from Cambridge. There are no required subjects for law as the others have said. Having an essay based subject, which you have, is not a requirement but it would just help you as there is a lot of reading and writing in law.
Thank you very much
ABCD125
Rep:
(Original post by harrysbar)
You can apply anywere with predictions of A*A*A - you could consider Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Kings (if you want to study in London) or other good unis outside London for Law like Durham,Bristol or Nottingham. However, it's wise to have at least one good non LNAT uni amongst your options, just in case you have a bad day with regard to that - somewhere like Leeds, York, Warwick, Exeter, Manchester etc
Thank you for your advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads