The Student Room Group

HELP! Should I switch teachers again?

So let me take this from the beginning. I used to have a music teacher who was horrible and very cruel. She would yell and scream at me threatening to kill me or to beat me every time I made a mistake on my instrument. She would constantly compare me to other students and tell me I have zero talent. I remember her telling me before exams that I play right after all the talented kids so I should study a lot if I don't want the difference to be obvious and humiliate myself in front of the judges/teachers, cause then I would not want to play in front of others ever again. She even told me to quit my instrument, which completely crushed me at that time. Anyway, these are just a few things I remember from all these years, cause I ended up staying with this teacher for 13 years. Not leaving this teacher and staying with her for so long was one of the biggest mistakes of my life, cause she really traumatised me. The thing is that since she was my first teacher and I had her since I was 6 years old, this behaviour was the only behaviour I knew, and so I thought that there must be something wrong with me. I ended up switching teachers last year, and I started lessons with this teachers best friend. I was worried it would be awkward and it was at times, but I could handle it. Thankfully this new teacher was nothing like the previous one. He had a lot of patience, was very kind and we had great chemistry in lessons. Problem is he recently changed his behaviour. He told me that he wants to kick me out of class while yelling everytime I make a mistake and tell me I am useless. He also told me that he wants to stop recognizing any effort I make in hopes of pushing me to try even harder. He has also stated that all these phsychologists suggesting how teachers should treat students are full of **** and stuff like that. I am honestly so startled about this and I consider switching again. Do you think I should just talk it through with this new teacher and try to solve this? Or do you think it is pointless and I should immediately change again? Is this a valid reason to switch for a second time? What would you do in my case? (Sorry for any grammar mistakes, english is not my first language)
Hey, I've had 4 flute teachers in 6 years :lol:. If you really don't feel it's working and that you're not progressing, then switch. If you feel as though you can solve it, then try :smile:
Do you even need a teacher if you have been learning to play this instrument for 14 years?
Original post by black tea
Do you even need a teacher if you have been learning to play this instrument for 14 years?

Yep. You're always improving

Quick Reply

Latest