Extra curricular activities for personal statement for medicine.

Watch
anomaly--1
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Just out of curiosity what unique or interesting activity did u do that you would say played a big role in your personal statement to uni. I’m in year 12 and after Christmas I am planning on starting work experience and volunteering but I was wondering other than that what else could you do. Btw, I also do a physical activity.

Thank you
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by anomaly--1)
Just out of curiosity what unique or interesting activity did u do that you would say played a big role in your personal statement to uni. I’m in year 12 and after Christmas I am planning on starting work experience and volunteering but I was wondering other than that what else could you do. Btw, I also do a physical activity.

Thank you
This is the thread for you to post in, and discuss with other applicants thinking of 2023 entry: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6902612

Work experience will take a lot of time, I would concentrate on that and also schoolwork. There is no point starting an extracurricular activity now.

P.S. Apart from UCL, no other med school cares much about the PS - they simply screen for red flags like "I do medicine for the fame and glory" etc.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 days ago
emilyalicerooney
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
For my personal statement I tried to do a variety of things (year 13 btw) to show my skills and link it to the subject I’m applying for. Here’s some things I did - I applied for geography:

- started a student magazine to talk bout climate change - you could write an article in a local paper/blog/podcast/ do a club about your subject. Doesn’t have to be big but something practical to show you’ve engaged with the subject and go out of your way - not just volunteering and work experience
- read articles - see if there is a society for your subject (mine was the royal geography society) and join it - this is just something easy to put on ur statement and you can say you read an article from the society and also learnt XYZ from it
- education - it’s not everyone’s thing but I went down the educating route of public speaking to raise awareness eg I spoke in the House of Lords bout women’s rights in politics. But this can also be in your school, see if your school does anything round or similar to the subject you want to apply for and get involved in some way, perhaps helping younger students.

I guess all unis really look for is to see you’re a well rounded person. So that’s why I took different avenues in my statement to show I engage and am able to do something with the knowledge on my subject. ))
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
There is a whole section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - lots of info about all aspects of your application - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (143)
33.49%
Yes - a trusted person (110)
25.76%
No (119)
27.87%
I'm not sure (55)
12.88%

Watched Threads