Pat Phelan
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 hours ago
I don't want to drag this out, but essentially I fancy going to America for a period of time, it would be good if i could get some work there whilst there, i've never been abroad before nor have a passport but I'm gonna try and get one soon. Basically, I'm wondering how to go about this and how to go about being able to get some temporary work in america potentially?
JJPSWFC
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 hour ago
If you're already at university then they might offer you a year of "studying abroad" but that tends to be in a country that doesn't speak English i.e. not America. If this is about a gap year before university/before work then your best bet is to get a job and save up some money so that you can afford to live off savings temporarily until you find a job there.
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 hour ago
perhaps you should visit America first as a holiday, preferably in the state and area you would like to live in. massive difference between thinking you'd like to live there and actually living there. see if you like the area first otherwise you will be quick to rush back. never buy the car before taking it for a drive first
franklyfruity
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 33 minutes ago
might I suggest Camp America - fun little stay over there for a few months working as a camp counsellor! and your visa can be extended for an extra 30 days so you have some time to travel around yourself too. worth looking into it if you have the whole summer to spare - although lots of people including myself sadly have other commitments or will need to spend the time working full-on. you do get paid but it's nowhere near what you could be making, you do it more for the experience if that makes sense!

otherwise I'm hopefully going to take a year abroad as part of my degree to study somewhere in America, haven't decided yet whether that'll be in NA or somewhere like Brazil where I've always wanted to go too...

not that I have any experience with this yet but I've heard it's notoriously difficult to get a visa if it's not part of an exchange programme (like the two aforementioned items above) so I'd say your best bet would be to travel as part of your uni degree. also America is quite a long way to go if you've never travelled before haha maybe start by going somewhere in Europe? just to get used to the whole experience, I can't imagine your first ever time going abroad and entering an airport including all of the extra customs and security checks, only to board a long-haul flight afterwards! that sounds hellish ngl
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 minute ago
google UK student loan if you or nobody else can pay for it. then google American visa requirements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're applying to uni for 2022, do you know how student finance works?

Yes, I'm fully clued up (40)
11.27%
I have some idea but need to do a bit more research (135)
38.03%
I have no idea (174)
49.01%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.69%

Watched Threads