Any questions about university life? Feel free to ask.

Watch
JJPSWFC
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello all, my name is Joseph and I'm currently studying mathematics at the University of York. I am in my first year so if anyone is in sixth form, I was in your position really not that long ago so I thought I'd just take some time to ask if anyone had any questions about what life is like at university. Please try to avoid generalized questions like "how is it?" because that's quite hard to answer.

I am happy to try to answer as many questions as possible about sports, subjects, the LGBTQ+ lifestyle, you name it.
tptp123
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
I know there are societies, but what do they actually do? can you give examples of the kind of events/activities?
JJPSWFC
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by tptp123)
I know there are societies, but what do they actually do? can you give examples of the kind of events/activities?
Of course . A lot of the sports societies (at least in York) have what are called "socials" which is just where you go out, usually to a club or a bar and just socialize with other people that do that same sport. There are also a lot of subject-specific societies like "MathSoc" (maths society) or "EngSoc" (English Society) which anyone can join but it's often more catered towards people doing those specific subjects. In those subject societies, there's often meets where you can go and talk about anything to do with that subject like we have "Cake & Calculus" on a Wednesday for MathSoc. There are also a lot of music genre societies like rock society, classical music society, orchestra society (that's for people who want to play in the orchestra here) but the genre-specific ones will also often have socials, they will just usually tend to go to places that are more catered towards a specific style of music.
Then there are the hobby ones like Art Society and even some stranger ones like "Hummus Appreciation Society" here.
If you want I can send you a link to the list of societies here, not to necessarily encourage you to go to York, I'm by no means an official representative of this university but if you click on a society then you can see what types of events they offer here.

Hope this helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (10)
10.75%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.08%
Finding the time to revise (7)
7.53%
Finding the motivation (23)
24.73%
Getting distracted (14)
15.05%
Procrastination (37)
39.78%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.08%

Watched Threads