reilune
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 14 hours ago
Hello! I’m an international student planning to study in the UK in the near future.

I intend to take Joint Honours if possible but am torn between Art History and Japanese, or History and Japanese.

I’m well aware that the University of Manchester offers Art History and Japanese while the University of Sheffield offers Japanese Studies and History. May I ask if Durham Univesity offers History and Japanese too with their Liberal Arts?

Back to the main question, I love both disciplines. I’m considering pursuing one of them first before going for a second Bachelor’s if circumstances allow at this point of time. As of now, I’m taking prospects into account, especially since the sciences are heavily valued in my society. I wish to not limit my opportunities. What are your thoughts, advice and recommendations? University recommendations are welcomed too. I do hope to enjoy the most of the UK’s culture and rich history during my time of study. Thank you!
Georgev21
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 hours ago
Sheffield and Manchester are both good universities, I would say Manchester is better for international students as you are very likely to be able to find other people in your situation. Manchester also has a lot of cultural activities going on.

In terms of the two courses it really comes down to how focused you want to be. History will allow you a wider choice of subject matter but if art history is what you want to do then go for it.

I study History of Art at Manchester so I can personally say the department is very good with great teachers and content and i would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 hours ago
(Original post by reilune)
Hello! I’m an international student planning to study in the UK in the near future.

I intend to take Joint Honours if possible but am torn between Art History and Japanese, or History and Japanese.

I’m well aware that the University of Manchester offers Art History and Japanese while the University of Sheffield offers Japanese Studies and History. May I ask if Durham Univesity offers History and Japanese too with their Liberal Arts?

Back to the main question, I love both disciplines. I’m considering pursuing one of them first before going for a second Bachelor’s if circumstances allow at this point of time. As of now, I’m taking prospects into account, especially since the sciences are heavily valued in my society. I wish to not limit my opportunities. What are your thoughts, advice and recommendations? University recommendations are welcomed too. I do hope to enjoy the most of the UK’s culture and rich history during my time of study. Thank you!
Hi reilune

It is great that you are planning on studying in the UK. I guess my advice would be to look carefully at the courses that interest you, check the sample modules, check the faculty member's research interests, and don't be afraid to send questions to the departments; How keen they are to respond may tell you something about the University. I am guessing you have found various search engine options to see where offers the courses you are interested in, such as the UCAS search function. You may want to look at the SOAS course as well.

I am also assuming that Japanese is not your first language, as most places will not accept native speakers on a UG degree course. Out of the three Universities you have mentioned perhaps Manchester as a larger city will have more to offer in terms of its cultural activities, but look at everywhere that offers the three courses you are interested in, become an expert in what is taught at various places and how courses differ and what modules are on offer in 2nd and 3rd years.

Also try and see some online Open Days, they will help to give you a feel of the place, if you cannot attend in person ones, also research the cities and towns. You are going to be living there for at least three years so you really want to know as much about it as possible.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
Last edited by Uni of Hull Students; 11 hours ago
reilune
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 minutes ago
Thank you both for your advices!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (17)
29.82%
Yes - a trusted person (13)
22.81%
No (20)
35.09%
I'm not sure (7)
12.28%

Watched Threads