The Student Room Group

i dont know what techniques she uses?

I need to write a comparative essay plan about what voice Martinson and Diana create as they present ideas about how the public and media see the monarchy, but im finding it really confusing (plus the homework was due in yesterday so I'm desperate!! Can anyone please help me with a couple techniques? I got the relevance of Piers Morgan being metaphorically labelled as a dog which I guess is critical of the press but I don't really know what else... Thanks

'Less than a year ago the marriage of Harry to this mixed-race divorcee with a successful career was being held up as a joyous coming-together of old and new. The event was heralded as the start of a “new era” by the New York Times and a “breath of fresh air” showing just how progressive and open British society could be. How clever of “The Firm” to reinvigorate itself in this way with a sprinkling of Hollywood glamour.

Now it seems that a woman praised for modernising the monarchy is perhaps just a bit too modern, a bit too full of herself, a bit too independent.

Piers Morgan, a man never known to avoid a social dog fight when he sniffs one, condemned her for “acting her way to the top” after she refused to return his calls, as if she needed an excuse.

Even Janet Street-Porter, a woman who has made a career out of speaking up, wrote in the Mail: “Couldn’t Meghan learn to act a little bit more (dare I say it) regal? Keep her mouth shut.”

In the space of a few months, Meghan has gone from teaching the royals new ways, to apparently finding herself in breach of royal protocol by showing too much shoulder. Kate, once dismissed as an airhead oik in search of a rich husband, lest we forget, is somehow allowed to show some shoulder, a double standard seized on by the US press, of course, as it allows them to lambast their hidebound British peers, while benefiting from the ensuing sales lift provided by the most photogenic royals.

For anyone who believes Meghan’s media treatment is no different to other royals, I give you Mike Tindall. While the former actor has been forced to drop her online blog and acting career, the member of a World Cup-winning rugby team, and another outsider to marry a royal grandchild, has continued with his former career and appeared on TV survival programmes since marrying Zara Phillips. What’s more, his treatment by the press appears overwhelmingly positive despite two lengthy drink-driving bans.

The “racial undertones” first mentioned by Prince Harry in a letter asking the press to desist in its treatment of his then girlfriend in 2016 also bedevil the coverage.

This was brought home to me last week when I was told by a tabloid sage of rumours that Meghan was no longer using skin-lightening lotions because she was pregnant. In all seriousness. About a woman who said magazines which change her skin tone or airbrush out her freckles are her “pet peeve”. In a moving 2015 piece for Elle magazine about growing up the daughter of an African-American woman and Caucasian man, Markle described the hateful online reaction to the decision by the producers of Suits to cast a black man as her father. One she cited was: “Ew, she’s black? I used to think she was hot.”

She moves to the UK and, as well as spiteful Fleet Street gossip, Kensington Palace has to moderate comments on its official online feeds to stop racist and sexist abuse.

A respected Times journalist, meanwhile, described any suggestion that Markle was being “pursued and vilified,” as her dead mother-in-law was, as “utter fantasy”. “No one is spying on her in the gym,” he opined. “No one is listening in on her phone calls.”

Post-Leveson, much has changed, but it seems the bar is still quite low.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending