Tips for bio chem and maths a level

Watch
Anonymous238383
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What do you wish you did different doing bio chem and maths at a level. I’m in year 13 and have 6 months left. Advice for wanting a*s in all subjects
averageviolinist
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I did not do math, but for chem I would definetely have done more papers. Past papers to be precise. Also for bio, for memorizing the chunks that do need to be memorized (even chem) I would have used spaced repetition using something like anki instead of going about it the normal way and rereaading & highlighting notes as the primary mode of studying.
Anonymous238383
Rep:
(Original post by averageviolinist)
I did not do math, but for chem I would definetely have done more papers. Past papers to be precise. Also for bio, for memorizing the chunks that do need to be memorized (even chem) I would have used spaced repetition using something like anki instead of going about it the normal way and rereaading & highlighting notes as the primary mode of studying.
Thank you! Do you think in 6 months I can go from d/e in my subjects to B’s or A’s. Also for biology I’m finding applying my knowledge in exam questions I find it so hard! Like the questions sometimes I feel like I haven’t covered the content. If you dont mind me asking what grades did you get
averageviolinist
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous238383)
Thank you! Do you think in 6 months I can go from d/e in my subjects to B’s or A’s. Also for biology I’m finding applying my knowledge in exam questions I find it so hard! Like the questions sometimes I feel like I haven’t covered the content. If you dont mind me asking what grades did you get
I'm not from the UK I'm from Sri Lanka but for our A lvls I got an A for bio and B for chem. which is why I wish I wish I'd done more past papers for chem. Our biology paper has a lot of focus on memorization so spaced repetition would work wonders. But if you're struggling with the concepts, I'd reccomend being thourough with the concepts first. I used Prof Eric Landers Fundamentals of Biology video series over at ocw.mit.edu for learning the concepts espeically of genetics & molecular biology. And used EdX too. If you're thorough with the fundamental concepts you probably won't have a problem of wiritng answers on the spot. (or at least write a semblance of an answer 😄) Also ofc if you put in the work, there's nothing stopping you from achieving all As.
Last edited by averageviolinist; 1 month ago
Anonymous238383
Rep:
I'm not from the UK I'm from Sri Lanka but for our A lvls I got an A for bio and B for chem. which is why I wish I wish I'd done more past papers for chem. Our biology paper has a lot of focus on memorization so spaced repetition would work wonders. But if you're struggling with the concepts, I'd reccomend being thourough with the concepts first. I used Prof Eric Landers Fundamentals of Biology video series over at ocw.mit.edu for learning the concepts espeically of genetics & molecular biology. And used EdX too. If you're thorough with the fundamental concepts you probably won't have a problem of wiritng answers on the spot. (or at least write a semblance of an answer 😄) Also ofc if you put in the work, there's nothing stopping you from achieving all As.
Thank you so much for your advice it’s very helpful!
Anonymous238383
Rep:
Also What is edX i though it was just higher level courses?
vetstudent625
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What do you wish you did different doing bio chem and maths at a level. I’m in year 13 and have 6 months left. Advice for wanting a*s in all subjects
I would defo revise answers from the biology mark scheme! I kept getting Bs in bio despite knowing all the content well and couldn’t figure out why, revising from the mark scheme showed me what key words they’re looking for and I got my A😊😊
vetstudent625
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I also got an A in maths, I don’t think I even looked in a textbook the entire two years😂 I just did every practise paper I could find and tried to learn everything I could by heart (eg sin cos tan values!) whilst you have your calculator, this will save you time in the exams
averageviolinist
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Also What is edX i though it was just higher level courses?
they're fundamentals of biology course sort of helps out with the core concepts. But yes they do have other higher level courses too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
22.81%
Note taking apps (5)
2.92%
Flashcards (31)
18.13%
Revision guides (5)
2.92%
Past papers (85)
49.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.51%

Watched Threads