The Student Room Group

Tory MP Links Young Men Turning To Crime With Female Leads In TV / Film

Scroll to see replies

Tend to agree with TC's take but yes, many great civilisations have suffered defeat at the hands of underestimating their enemy. We just have to hope that from this defeat a Scipio will be produced.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SHallowvale
1. Don't shift the goalpost. We are talking about film and media.

1.5-:You believe that having female leads in films and TV shows is an attack on white men, which it isn't.
There are, and will continue to be, many positive male role models in TV shows and films. Women having the audacity to feature in films as the lead character is not an attack on you or anyone else.

2. Two of the most recent Marvel films / TV shows feature male leads and depict them as very positive male role models. They have a lot of the characteristics that pretty much anyone would want: honest, modesty, ambition, etc. They also touch on the topic of grief in a very healthy way. Honestly the whole thing was extremely refreshing.

Lmao @ Mary Sues being a "left wing film trope". Mary Sues are just bad writing, similar to deus ex machinas. You'll find examples of them spanning decades. Hell, the word "Mary Sue" actually originates from the 1970s, well before the 'woke brigade', 'SJWs', etc.

1- Lmao I'm not shifting the goal posts. All my posts have said it is a PART of a wider attack.

1.5- no I don't that is simply not true. Case in point - Ripley from the Alien franchise and Sarah Connor from the first 2 Terminator films. Absolutely no problem with those two characters or view them as an attack on white masculinity because they aren't.

2: what marvel films are these ?

Sure but I was referring to a specific type of Mary Sue, which is elevated due to deliberately undermining established make characters. perhaps the best example of this is star wars the last Jedi and Rey meeting Luke Skywalker.

And yes I agree it is bad writing, but this often works hand in glove with progressive politics :wink:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Tend to agree with TC's take but yes, many great civilisations have suffered defeat at the hands of underestimating their enemy. We just have to hope that from this defeat a Scipio will be produced.

If one does I promise you he will not be a Shapiro/ Peterson fan...
Reply 63
Original post by Starship Trooper
I haven't watched that much stuff if his (see part 1) but this is largely the impression I get from what I've seen if him and his fans.

Firstly he's boring as sin and for me personally largely unwatchable.

Secondly I don't think he has anything interesting or profound to say. You have to be a deranged lefty to find him remotely controversial or offensive. Shock! Women with penises aren't women?

Thirdly- from some of what I've seen of him he appears to be a bit of a kook grifter. I think he's an establishment gatekeeper designed to channel right wing resentment into establishment approved ideas. "The best way for me to challenge the establishment is by being a radical individual!'

Fourthly- he's apologetic towards the left, in my view he caters to them. These people seem to think that 20 years ago everything was just great and it's just gotten a bit too radical recently.

Fifthly- he pretends to be this big free speech advocate. But say anything actually controversial and he will shut you down as quick as any lefty.

This is a common trope with mainstream right wing people like Shapiro who will bemoan left wing censorship but heaven forfend you say anything critical about Israel.

Interesting. Why do you think he has/ had such a big appeal amongst sections of the right? I do agree that nothing he said in particular seemed that interesting or radical.

Always had a bit of a soft spot bizarrely for Peter Hitchens. Even though I disagree him profoundly on most things.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
Interesting. Why do you think he has/ had such a big appeal amongst sections of the right? I do agree that nothing he said in particular seemed that interesting or radical.

Always had a bit of a soft spot bizarrely for Peter Hitchens. Even though I disagree him profoundly on most things.

So I think the biggest reason is simply that the people he is appealing to aren't actually very right wing. These are basically older people who are maybe centrists, or old fashioned liberals etc. Another reason is that he's pretty safe- you can show him to your friends and family, and unless they are particularly deranged not going to be offended. There is something similar going on with the "Comedian" Geoff Norcott whose whole schtick is he's this right winger, when he's basically just a Blairite who might say some things that middle class people in Islington might find scandalous.

Peter Hitchens, is for very different reasons sadly in the same overall camp as wimpy, ineffective right wingers as Mogg, Peterson et al, despite me having leagues more respect for him. And this is because he is a self described defeatist who has completely given up. He basically agrees with me on most of the issues but is basically too proud/ "Principled"/ weak to fight back meaningfully against it- and would rather be a pristine loser than get in and fight, which he see's as beneath him.

(To his credit, he does do a lot of good work and does still advocate for his positions from his desk, and he isn't in a position to do anything. But I think he has a bad, demoralising attitude that encourages defeatism so that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy)

Note that all the above openly or not despise Trump. There's a lot of reasons for this, but I think the biggest reason is that they know Trump is a bully who they've always resented and been jealous of since growing up. Trump would probably have put Moggs head down a toilet, and for good reason. That's the sort of energy we need right now.
Original post by DSilva

I mean, he's just a very likeable and obviously decent bloke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRdlNTbe0k

I feel the same way about Corbyn actually...
The above is where I draw my distinction between the likes of ST. Despite agreeing with most of Trump believed, I prefer a degree of class to politics and have rarely supported the revolutionary spirit that the likes of ST have.
Original post by Rakas21
The above is where I draw my distinction between the likes of ST. Despite agreeing with most of Trump believed, I prefer a degree of class to politics and have rarely supported the revolutionary spirit that the likes of ST have.

+1, Agreed with your assesment. I am a Radical Reactionary that believes that most of the system is too corrupted to be worth saving. That said, I am a pragmatist and think we are largely fighting on the same side albeit from different angles.

What are your thoughts on Ron De Santis?
Original post by Starship Trooper
1- Lmao I'm not shifting the goal posts. All my posts have said it is a PART of a wider attack.

1.5- no I don't that is simply not true. Case in point - Ripley from the Alien franchise and Sarah Connor from the first 2 Terminator films. Absolutely no problem with those two characters or view them as an attack on white masculinity because they aren't.

2: what marvel films are these ?

Sure but I was referring to a specific type of Mary Sue, which is elevated due to deliberately undermining established make characters. perhaps the best example of this is star wars the last Jedi and Rey meeting Luke Skywalker.

And yes I agree it is bad writing, but this often works hand in glove with progressive politics :wink:

1. "What he really should be saying is that it is an attack on white masculinity, which it is absolutely". This thread started about TV and films, which your post was in direct response to.

1.5. So your original post was wrong, then?

2. Shang Chi and Falcon / Winter Soldier had great male roles.

Mary Sues are Mary Sues. They are no better or worse because of progressive politics, they're just bad writing. Star Wars is full of them, same with whatever the equivalent would be for men.
Original post by Napp
Whilst some of his comments hace been taken slightly out of context he really did make a complete ass out of himself here 😂 pity as he does, in a manner of speaking, raise a good point vis a vis male role models in general… completely undermined by his rambling sexist claptrap but nevertheless

I think he got a case of speaker's cramp. He meant to say "young men need good male role models" but it span out of control and he ended up looking a fool. :teehee:

I'd like to see some male role models that aren't footballers, gangsters or murderers depicted in the media. When they do show some other kinds of men in movies or dramas, they tend to have something wrong with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending