imwajih
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I a just writing to clear a few things up for me. I am wondering if my predicted grades are lower than the entry requirements will I then receive a conditional offer and if my grades are the same or higher than the entry requirements then will I receive an unconditional offer.

Thanks in advance
ashvinsingh
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imwajih)
Hi I a just writing to clear a few things up for me. I am wondering if my predicted grades are lower than the entry requirements will I then receive a conditional offer and if my grades are the same or higher than the entry requirements then will I receive an unconditional offer.

Thanks in advance
Depends what course, depends what uni, depends on how competitive the course is this year etc… if your predicted grades are lower than the minimum entry requirements you would either get rejected or get the minimum entry requirement conditional offer.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Thanks in advance
If your predicted grades are below the typical requirement you might still get a conditional offer, yes.

If your predicted grades are above the typical requirement you would still potentially get a conditional offer.

If you applied with achieved grades then you may receive an unconditional offer.
Nobody2u
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
A conditional offer is conditional on you achieving the grades required so nothing to do with having predicted grades higher or lower. However, if your predicted are a lot lower than the required grades you may either get a conditional or a rejection.
Unconditionals are generally given to those who have already achieved their grades ( are applying in a gap year etc)
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Thanks in advance
It's amazing how quickly a belief that predicted grades are basically equivalent to achieved grades has taken hold.

No.

Your predicted grades are not achieved grades. Chances are that your achieved grades will be lower than your predicted grades, because almost every teacher is nice about predicted grades and predicts what you will get on your very best day. If you only have predicted grades, you will almost certainly get a conditional offer (or a rejection). You are more likely to get an offer if your predictions are the same or higher than the entry requirements, but even then it's not a certainty, especially for the very top universities which have far more applicants with predicted results the same or higher than the entry requirements than they could possibly accept. You are very unlikely to get an unconditional offer.

If you are applying with achieved grades, then you will either get an unconditional offer or a rejection.

If you are applying with a mixture of achieved and predicted grades, you may well get a conditional offer just on the subjects you only have predicted grades for, so it might just be for one or two grades rather than the normal three.

(There was, a few years back, a period where several universities had a policy of giving unconditional offers based on predicted grades, but only if you made them your firm choice - often accompanied with other sweeteners like guaranteed accommodation and so on. This was very unfair - not only that, but the A level results of people who had this sort of offer were on average a LOT lower than they should have been, because why would they have bothered working hard for the last six months of year 13 when they didn't need to? Except, of course, that they needed the knowledge to cope with the degree they were about to start... it was a mess and has now been largely abandoned.)
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by skylark2)
(There was, a few years back, a period where several universities had a policy of giving unconditional offers based on predicted grades, but only if you made them your firm choice - often accompanied with other sweeteners like guaranteed accommodation and so on. This was very unfair - not only that, but the A level results of people who had this sort of offer were on average a LOT lower than they should have been, because why would they have bothered working hard for the last six months of year 13 when they didn't need to? Except, of course, that they needed the knowledge to cope with the degree they were about to start... it was a mess and has now been largely abandoned.)
It has? I'm really pleased about that it was an absolutely stupid idea from the start imho but then i guess it was buyers market then and it's not now if you see what I mean.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads