The Student Room Group

My parents won't let me wear a skirt to school

I'm a south-asian 16 year old muslim. I wear above the knee dresses at home and out, but my parents won't let me wear a skirt to school. I don't understand why as they're practically the same thing. How can i convince them? (They're some of the strictest people you'll ever meet, so changing when i get there wouldn't work)
If it dosent affect you that much then why change it? Just accept it, however, if you have a good reason why then just tell them shy and how you feel.
I understand some of how you feel. :smile:
Always listen to what your gut instinct is telling you.
Put your health and physical safety first.
Particularly when you are reliant upon religious traditionalists for basics like accomodation and meals.

I got caught and my mother's violent reflexes were triggered by her friends complaints and moral outrage about what I was wearing.
I will be covering the scars with makeup for the rest of my life.
My friend was filmed doing compulsory sports on wednesday afternoon wearing a loose fitting grey tracksuit from the lost property section and her brutal mother used that as an excuse to attack her with two kitchen knives.
Her fundamentalist church don't allow females to wear trousers or shorts.

If you have any doubts or there is a tradition of violence in your family tree- don't risk attempting to convince your parents to let you wear the secular clothes that you want to wear to school.

Nor any traditionalist members of your family or religious people of any religion that you know very well.
Wait until you have moved out, have financial independence and access to a stable pay check- then wear whatever you like.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending