Is Henry VIII a good person or a bad person?

Watch
willwongeleven53
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I watched the TV series "The Tudors" and I think Henry VIII is a bad guy, he is a tyrant, and his wives died one by one. I don't know why many history books write Henry VIII as an accomplished monarch. As an Englishman, what do you think of Henry VIII? Which of the kings in the history of Britain do you think has left a deep impression on the British?
Last edited by willwongeleven53; 1 month ago
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Never met him.
ah6100tsr
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think it's just the UK that don't speak much bad about him. Yet they speak of Hitler as if he was a billion times worse.
Cote1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think he became really BAD.
He maybe was not quite so bad when he started out.
willwongeleven53
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Never met him.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
An evil person.
But his religious policies, private life and the events of his reign changed Britain forever.
0ptics
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
I’d be surprised if someone said that he was a good person overall.
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The guy had 8 6 wives...
Edit: I'm stupid and thought he had 8 wives
Last edited by hungrysalamander; 1 month ago
0ptics
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
The guy had 8 wives...
I may be wrong but didn’t he have 6 wives?

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. The order of what happened to each wife - I still remember that after 5 years…
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 0ptics)

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. The order of what happened to each wife - I still remember that after 5 years…
I will always remember this thanks to Horrible Histories…good times indeed.
willwongeleven53
Rep:
(Original post by ah6100tsr)
I think it's just the UK that don't speak much bad about him. Yet they speak of Hitler as if he was a billion times worse.
I don't know if you mind if I ask this, are you British?
Last edited by willwongeleven53; 1 month ago
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Yea my bad. It's been a while since year 7 history.
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Why did they teach us that when we were 12 though?
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Why did they teach us that when we were 12 though?
No idea. I found history incredibly boring apart from the world wars.
willwongeleven53
Rep:
(Original post by londonmyst)
An evil person.
But his religious policies, private life and the events of his reign changed Britain forever.
Indeed
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No idea. I found history incredibly boring apart from the world wars.
Tbh I was sick of Weimar Germany being shoved down my throat... I still have piles of useless flashcards from GCSE.
Son of the Sea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The way he treated Catherine of Aragon when he knew she wouldn't provide a son was absolutely appalling. And then how he treated Anne Boleyn after he tired of her. Such a shame considering that chronicles agree he was such a promising and capable young prince. It seems he squandered his talents.
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Tbh I was sick of Weimar Germany being shoved down my throat... I still have piles of useless flashcards from GCSE.
I didn't take history GCSE :rofl:
willwongeleven53
Rep:
I’d be surprised if someone said that he was a good person overall.
I don't know why, but there are many historical materials that write Henry VIII as a representative of the "Tudor Dynasty".:confused:
willwongeleven53
Rep:
I don't know what "year 7 history" means.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads