HelloHello143
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in my second year of BTEC childcare and education level 3 in manchester (aiming for a grade A)

I'm comparing choices of how to become a primary school teacher (while staying in manchester)...its between going to uni or working my way up in a primary school

Primary education course with QTS is very competitive and requires an interview which makes me doubt whether I will get in (plus the only uni I cud apply for is man met if i stay in manchester which makes things harder,I don't really wanna go to other unis) but if i did I cud become a teacher in 3 years

Option 2 is do something else in uni like educational psychology then post grad primary education and become a teacher which is 4 years total, but I don't see how 1 year of this course will prepare me to become a teacher, id prefer more experience as an introvert

I was wondering if it wud be quicker and more beneficial for me to just work in a primary school straight away? Like as a level 3 teaching assistant, then to a higher level teaching assistant and not sure what comes after that...i will get experience and be getting paid (between £17-22,000 according to google) and I'm a hard worker so I don't think this will be difficult...but how long wud it take for me to become a primary school teacher this way?

I'm just not sure on anything plz help
some advice from primary school teachers and teaching assistants will help...i also want to know what the salary from first hand experience in different positions
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Discuss your options with a career advisor
HelloHello143
Rep:
(Original post by tinyperson)
Discuss your options with a career advisor
I've never been to a careers advisor that is useful tbh lol, I had an appointment 2 weeks ago which lasted half an hour and she just told me stuff I already knew and I have another one for tomorrow for my UCAS application 🤷*♀️

They always sit with u and go thru websites since they dont actually know anything specific and I already do lots of research online so it's no help, that's why I have come on here in the hopes that actual teachers will give me some info as I won't be going on a placement in primary schools until March for my level 3 course and it wud be helpful to get info before I submit my personal statement and such
EIL3EN
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HelloHello143)
I've never been to a careers advisor that is useful tbh lol, I had an appointment 2 weeks ago which lasted half an hour and she just told me stuff I already knew and I have another one for tomorrow for my UCAS application 🤷*♀️

They always sit with u and go thru websites since they dont actually know anything specific and I already do lots of research online so it's no help, that's why I have come on here in the hopes that actual teachers will give me some info as I won't be going on a placement in primary schools until March for my level 3 course and it wud be helpful to get info before I submit my personal statement and such
Have you spoken to Get Into Teaching? They might be able to give you more specific information about the routes into primary teaching.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm in my second year of BTEC childcare and education level 3 in manchester (aiming for a grade A)

I'm comparing choices of how to become a primary school teacher (while staying in manchester)...its between going to uni or working my way up in a primary school

Primary education course with QTS is very competitive and requires an interview which makes me doubt whether I will get in (plus the only uni I cud apply for is man met if i stay in manchester which makes things harder,I don't really wanna go to other unis) but if i did I cud become a teacher in 3 years

Option 2 is do something else in uni like educational psychology then post grad primary education and become a teacher which is 4 years total, but I don't see how 1 year of this course will prepare me to become a teacher, id prefer more experience as an introvert

I was wondering if it wud be quicker and more beneficial for me to just work in a primary school straight away? Like as a level 3 teaching assistant, then to a higher level teaching assistant and not sure what comes after that...i will get experience and be getting paid (between £17-22,000 according to google) and I'm a hard worker so I don't think this will be difficult...but how long wud it take for me to become a primary school teacher this way?

some advice from primary school teachers and teaching assistants will help...i also want to know what the salary from first hand experience in different positions
You need a degree to become a primary school teacher, so 'working your way up the ranks' isn't really feasible. Sometimes TAs do go on to become teachers, but this would usually be by doing a part-time degree as a mature student and then gaining QTS. You also need to have a C / 4 in Maths, English and Science GCSE in order to become a primary school teacher.

Teachers are paid according to pay scales. You can see them here:
https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/advice/pay...ay-scales.html
Obviously these change over time, but it gives you a rough idea what you can expect. You'd want to be looking at the 'classroom teacher' section. For your first several years of teaching, you'd be working up from M1 to M6 on that scale.

An undergraduate degree in Primary Teaching with QTS is probably the quickest route into teaching. It depends on the university. It is also probably better for you if you are nervous about needing a lot of time to acclimate, as you will learn plenty and gets experience over the course of 3 years rather - and you would still have space to change your mind, if your realise it's not for you, you could swap to another course after the first year.

Just to address your concern about a one-year teacher training course not being enough also. Once you complete your teacher training (via any route), you then have two years where you are classed as an ECT (Early Career Teacher). As an ECT, you will have a slightly lighter timetable, a mentor to help support you, and some additional paperwork and training to do that will support you in transitioning from a trainee to being a fully qualified teacher. You are paid and employed as a teacher during the two-year ECT period, but you receive extra support.
HelloHello143
Rep:
(Original post by bluebeetle)
You need a degree to become a primary school teacher, so 'working your way up the ranks' isn't really feasible. Sometimes TAs do go on to become teachers, but this would usually be by doing a part-time degree as a mature student and then gaining QTS. You also need to have a C / 4 in Maths, English and Science GCSE in order to become a primary school teacher.

Teachers are paid according to pay scales. You can see them here:
https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/advice/pay...ay-scales.html
Obviously these change over time, but it gives you a rough idea what you can expect. You'd want to be looking at the 'classroom teacher' section. For your first several years of teaching, you'd be working up from M1 to M6 on that scale.

An undergraduate degree in Primary Teaching with QTS is probably the quickest route into teaching. It depends on the university. It is also probably better for you if you are nervous about needing a lot of time to acclimate, as you will learn plenty and gets experience over the course of 3 years rather - and you would still have space to change your mind, if your realise it's not for you, you could swap to another course after the first year.

Just to address your concern about a one-year teacher training course not being enough also. Once you complete your teacher training (via any route), you then have two years where you are classed as an ECT (Early Career Teacher). As an ECT, you will have a slightly lighter timetable, a mentor to help support you, and some additional paperwork and training to do that will support you in transitioning from a trainee to being a fully qualified teacher. You are paid and employed as a teacher during the two-year ECT period, but you receive extra support.
Thank you so much for this, its really useful, even after researching for weeks/months I've never seen a lot of this information and has definetly helped make my decision
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for this, its really useful, even after researching for weeks/months I've never seen a lot of this information and has definetly helped make my decision
It's all on the Get into teaching website

Your school will also know ...
Get into Teaching
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Hi HelloHello143,
I would suggest you register on the Get into Teaching website to get a teaching adviser, they are all experienced teachers and will support you in exploring your best options to train and will also support you with your application and interview if you were to proceed. It is a free service. I hope this helps.
Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (37)
6.36%
October 2021 (261)
44.85%
November 2021 (70)
12.03%
December 2021 (74)
12.71%
January 2021 (75)
12.89%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (46)
7.9%