The Student Room Group

With americas a comprise peace is possible between russia and ukraine

To be perfectly frank, the author raised a slew of rather good points and, indeed, a rough formula for at least a quasi peace. At least until the end, there is not a snowballs chance in hell the Kremlin would tolerate a de facto American nuclear base sitting right on its doorstep (as is the case with most nato members and their shared custody of thermonuclear weapons) as I have said previously, it would be akin to Washington rolling over to Tehran planting its ballistic missile forces across the northern border and pointing them straight at every major city.

Which is a real shame to be honest as, as the author notes, this really is a family feud in one the most traditional senses. Russians being very big on tracing their lineage to the ancient kievenrus (some rather amusing diplomatic pissinng matches over which historical figures now belong to whom)

In any event, I stand by the key take away here is the authors notation of the shrill hyperbole coming out of the west, be it the usual suspects in the wonks hangout looking for the Russian bear under every surface or the media trying to bend the truth into knots (or disgarding it entirely). Say what you will about the autocrat on the Kremlin and Russian pretentious to be one of the new global poles but a very basic appraisal of its capabilities demonstrably shows that the aforementioned are smoking some really very impressive **** when they believe that russia is on a par with the USSR at the zenith of its power

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/america-compromise-possible-between-russia-and-ukraine-197088
Reply 1
There's little incentive to come to peace unless one believes that Russia would go nuclear over Ukraine.

Neither of them really care about the Ukrainian people, just the real estate but currently, the west is likely to win all but two regions and Crimea, that means there is little incentive not to carry on lobbing weapons at each other while scaring the rest of the Ukrainian people into Europe's waiting arms.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rakas21
There's little incentive to come to peace unless one believes that Russia would go nuclear over Ukraine.

Neither of them really care about the Ukrainian people, just the real estate but currently, the west is likely to win all but two regions and Crimea, that means there is little incentive not to carry on lobbing weapons at each other while scaring the rest of the Ukrainian people into Europe's waiting arms.

Well there is that but that presupposes the Russians wont escalate to deescalate, or simply turn those (really quite good looking) Iskander launches westward and let rip before they have a country that is inimical to its current existence pointing their own missiles. Might they go nuclear? Doubtful but i wouldnt dismiss it off hand if Ukraine did somehow join NATO or otherwise allow America (lets be fair, they couldnt give a toss about NATO otherwise) to station such weapons that close to them. Aside from being an existential threat it would be a completely intolerable slap in the face to the regime, they let that slide and there's a not insignificant chance they'll find themselves meeting a similar end to the last Russian dynasty to humiliate the country... every dynasty for that matter.

On a more conventional note though, sans doomsday weapons, i'd be interested to see the Russian position if the west did move in and colonise the neighbourhood. I rather doubt Moscow would take it sitting down. The media might well be grossly misusing the term 'ally' for Ukraine and overhyping the border build up but that doesnt detract from the original point that whilst Moscow will 'allow' an unfriendly government in Ukraine (i do like how their wonks have said theyve given up on talking to Kiev) i rather doubt theyll sit on their laurels if the situation goes further downhill.
As i said, giving them Javelins and Drones is an annoying pinprick that can be taken as a cost of their games, anything more substantial will mean a brand new game, if you will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending